PAINTING OLD PLASTERED WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently stripped wallpaper from my 1950's house. The plaster beneath is okay (ish) but I have made a number of ruts and dents in the plaster with my scraper.

I have removed all the adhesive with sugar soap and washed the walls again with clean water.

Is there something I can buy from B&Q or other store that I can paint on(kind of paintable filler or something) that will fill all the hairline cracks and scraper dents and ruts and provide me with a good finish ready for painting?

On some of the walls (that were previously painted under the wall paper) I have removed some of the paint. So some walls I have a couple of bare patches of plaster showing through the old paint. I don't want to just paint over as you will see the patches. I was thinking of sanding and applying a thin layer of filler before I paint???? Is this okay or is there something else I should be doing?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I replied the below to someone else it may well be of use (or what not to do :D )

My house is nearly 70 years old & I initially went down the smoothover route as I had the whole house to do and the walls were in very good condition apart from a few digs & scrapes as it was a well kept one owner house with only one layer of wall paper & the original ceiling paint underneath.
On my first room a 4x4 bedroom (metre’s not off roader ) After removing the old dried wall paper paste & ceiling paint by a sander I found for smaller area’s the smooth over works very well but still needs sanding as its nigh impossible not to leave tracks/ridges etc etc but as its so easy to sand its not a problem.

I ended up with a really good smooth wall using a 500w halogen light for seeing all the imperfections but I did find though that although I had covered all the digs/dents when it came to painting I had pin holes that I thought would fill with paint but didn’t (tried Polycell base coat & Polycell flexible ceiling paint but they didn’t really make much difference)
I had to bite the bullet & go back with a small blade & fill in all the little holes & then go & sand it all down again, knackerd a Black & Decker third sheet sander along the way but bought a better Bosch variable speed one that seems to be much better although I finish sanding with a 3m rubber hand block.

I had a good look on here for an alternative to smooth over as it was going to end up too expensive to do the whole house this way & I would be just as well getting a Plasterer in to skim the lot. I tried Gyproc joint filler & it seems to be just a good if not better & is far, far cheaper only prob is it is light tan in colour & if touching up a white painted wall/ceiling it is harder to cover with paint so I just now use the white smoothover for the finishing touches
I have moved onto another bedroom now & I will be far fussier it filling all the holes & another thing I’ll do is cover the lot in plaster sealer once filled as although watered down emulsion worked in 95% of the area in the first room I had a few issues with peeling paint which hopefully the sealer will address.

Due to time & dust issues (2 kids to think about) I will probably go to a plasterer for the rest downstairs but it has been an interesting project (apart from the peeling paint bit)

Hope you get on well but if its a near full skim you need then I don't think Smoothover is the most cost/time effective way, small patches yes, full skim no. (that probably goes for easyfill/skim etc unless you have all the right gear & can use it well)

Give us an update as to how you get on.

Cheers,

Co.

thanks - i'll have a crack (no pun intended) at filling and sanding the patches, see how I get on and if its a real bother i'll get the plasterer in!

Sponsored Links
I agree with CO2000, it depends on the size of the area that is bad.

Our house was originally 2 houses but was converted to 1 house and the gable end re-built.

When we moved in we stripped the walls in the lounge/dining room so we could re-paint. As the majority of the walls were OK (due to only being around 12 years old) we went down the Smoothover route however the oldest two walls were in a pretty bad way.

To try and "save" a bit of money we tried to patch up the old walls as best we could.

When we did the spare room we had the same issue but decided to get a plasterer to come and skim the old wall. I now really wish we'd done that downstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back