Removing paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls in my dining room were probably plastered about 5 years ago. The previous owner has then painted directly onto the new plaster without doing a mist coat first. They have then wallpapered over this at a later stage.

I have removed the wallpaper but it has taken patches of the paint off with it. I've got a sharp scraper and have started to scrape off the paint back to the original plaster and although there is only one wall to do, it is time consuming. Is there a quicker way of removing the paint without damaging the plaster? I've already tried a heat gun but doesn't really seem to help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use a steam stripper but you have to keep moving it otherwise you may blow the plaster skim coat.

Alternatively, if you apply a thick wall paper paste, it may help (messy though).

I stripped the paint back to the plaster in a number of rooms (yes you are right - v time consuming). I found the best way was to wet the wall slightly with a little soapy water, and then scrape. Holding the scraper at the correct angle helps immensely - i use two hands, one to hold the handle of the scraper and one to sort of press the blade onto the wall maintaining the correct angle - when the angle is right it comes off really easily and fairly quickly, if the angle is wrong it takes ages... Also i found the scraper dulls very quickly, so i took the grinder around with me and kept the blade touched up as i went, which also helps immensely.

I uncovered several similar walls a couple of years ago

As above, gentle use of a scraper (I used a window scraper) works if you get the angle right
Try to avoid digging in

I went over the walls with an orbital sander connected to a vac with a hep filter

Sponsored Links
I stripped the paint back to the plaster in a number of rooms (yes you are right - v time consuming). I found the best way was to wet the wall slightly with a little soapy water, and then scrape. Holding the scraper at the correct angle helps immensely - i use two hands, one to hold the handle of the scraper and one to sort of press the blade onto the wall maintaining the correct angle - when the angle is right it comes off really easily and fairly quickly, if the angle is wrong it takes ages... Also i found the scraper dulls very quickly, so i took the grinder around with me and kept the blade touched up as i went, which also helps immensely.

Not cheap but Olfa make lovely scrapers. Quality Japanese products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back