Tow Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking at buying a new (used) car and we've seen two cars we're interested in. They are both the same make and model but with different specs but the one we'd like most doesn't have a tow bar and we need one as we take a trailer with us when we go camping. Does anyone know if fitting a tow bar is easy to do yourself or is it best left to the proffesionals. Its wiring up the electrics for the lights which would be the tricky bit i'd guess.

Anyone know of ball park cost for buying the bits and getting them fitted?

Sponsored Links
The answers depend on what car you're thinking of buying. Fitting a tow bar is a straightforward job, provided it's been made accurately enough to line up with the mounting holes; dismantling the car (and possibly modifying the rear 'bumper', laughingly so called) may be difficult, depending on the design of the car and any corrosion present.

Some vehicles have sockets in the wiring loom for a towbar electrics kit to plug into. Splicing in the cables yourself is straightforward once you've found an appropriate location. It's also possible to make a pig's ear of it if you get the cable colours wrong.

I strongly recommend getting a bar with a detachable ball if possible. Use silicone grease to help prevent water ingress to the electrical socket(s).

The car we're looking at is a Peugeot 307 estate '54 plate model. We're just trying to weigh up whether it's best to fit it ourself or try and get the dealer to get one fitted to 'seal the deal' with the car? If we don't get them to fit it however, we may be able to negotiate the price so its all a case of weighing up which will be the best bargaining tactic!!

Allegedly, car dealers will bite your hand off at the moment if you show an interest in buying a vehicle. I would get him to give you a good price, then ask if he'll put the tow bar and fitting in the deal. It will cost him less than it will cost you (assuming he's got his own fitter to do it) and you'll feel you've got the tow bar free.

Sponsored Links
I've heard this too but am not finding it to be true. He seems reluctant to lower the price (to be honest its a pretty good price anyway) and has only managed to increase the part-ex value of our car by £95 and chuck in some footwell mats (worth £30 apparently). He said he's got someone else interested but seems keen to sell to us so i'm not 100% sure thats true? Will see what response we get to getting them to fit a tow bar.

Push hard for a good deal, if not walk away, their are thousands of cars at very good prices.

The plot thickens - despite saying he's got someone else interested he spoke to the missus yesterday and because i haven't seen the car yet he's offered to drive it to my office (some 30miles from the dealer) for me to look at it. If that doesn't say 'we want you to buy this car' i don't know what does??

Gonna be having it with the two bar fitted at no cost or not at all - and may as well throw in the third reg plate for the trailer while he's at it! Wonder if there's scope to negotiate the price as he's putting an extra 60miles on the clock bringing it for me to look at????? ;)

Tell them you'll have it at £xxxx with towbar fitted & warranty and are ready to do the deal today.
If they won't then walk away

I don't know if that '54 plate would be recent enough, but these days, it can be very complicated (and expensive) fitting a tow bar. The latest generation of electronics means that many cars will need a proper "interface" box to go from the towbar electrics to the car's own electrics. They days of just splicing into the wires for the rear lights are gone! The onboard electrical systems just go mad if you try that on many modern cars.

Also, it's a legal requirement for any towbar fitted to a post 1996 (or maybe 1998?) car to be "e-marked" (type approved) and they need to pick up on the manufacturer's designated attachment points.

Sponsored Links
Back