Towel rad adding electric element

G

Goldspoon

I have just set the pipes for a towel radiator (off primary circuit same as a rad).

I have now been asked to fit an electric element (electrician to do wiring). I am a little confused.

The instructions say mot to allow the use of two on/offable valves (which the rad has) as this means the water can heat up and expand because of the electric element and with the valves shut there is no possibility to vent. I understand this.

I have been provided with the screw in element, two valves and a T shaped thing. Cannot make sense of how this all fits together? Instructions say element goes in bottom of rad...

Any advice really appreciated.

P1020183-1.jpg

P1020184-1.jpg

Rad upside down in this pic

P1020187-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought... but I do not think this works. Pipes are coming from wall (not floor). With this new picture what goes where (i.e. A goes into blah and B into doh etc.).

Maybe my brain has just had an overload but cannot see it...

P1020183b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Insert... hmmm...

That would mean that the pipes I set perfect distance apart "for no summer element addition (i.e just the usual two valves)" and buried in the wall are in the wrong place - due to T piece ensuring valve will be left or right by almost an inch?? E goes into D with water pipe end pointing towards wall.

Also valves on both sides of the rad will be at slightly different heights and will look different to the customer...

And the set up does not follow safety instructions as with both valves turned off the towel rad is "sealed" and therefore no vent in place...?

Insert... hmmm...

That would mean that the pipes I set perfect distance apart "for no summer element addition (i.e just the usual two valves)" and buried in the wall are in the wrong place - due to T piece ensuring valve will be left or right by almost an inch?? E goes into D with water pipe end pointing towards wall.

Also valves on both sides of the rad will be at slightly different heights and will look different to the customer...

And the set up does not follow safety instructions as with both valves turned off the towel rad is "sealed" and therefore no vent in place...?

Just a thought:
if your towel rail has half inch air vent and blanking off plug at top replace one with an auto air vent.
www.toolstation.com search for 67448 or 34942

Would an auto air vent sort out the water expanding by 4%?

Would it vent off steam in emergency?

Doubt it will be ok for water, but steam yes. In retrospect, possibly not such a good idea after all since summer use relies on partial draining of rad.

Suppose solution is to replace one valve with lockshield

heck PLEASE do not use the aladdin for expansion due to an electrical element.
aladdin is just to clear out air from ladder type piles of trouble.
if this is an addition/extra to what you have been asked/quoted to install,tell them you are not familar with these and get someone else after you had finished.
good luck.

1. NO dont even think about it

2. Once its melted the insides and or blew the top off it probably would. If theres a litre of water in there its going to be 1600 litres of superheated steam

sluggy,i have reccomended the use of these units in another post,not this post.
someone has suggest their use here,they are not acceptable for use for this installation.
but very usefull for other installations.
well back to the pub again,new pole dancer in town.

powermaxer
Your say so rules here mate. I haven't got a total grip of this one because I'm not that familiar with it. Just felt it necessary to point out what I can see turning into a potentially dangerous situation.

sluggy,i have reccomended the use of these units in another post,not this post.
someone has suggest their use here,they are not acceptable for use for this installation.
but very usefull for other installations.

I picked up on it - my mistake. Sorry for wasting your time through my ignorance. :oops: Thought it might have done as a pressure relief valve in the context of the proposed installation, but clearly not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back