Towel Radiator leaking in tiled Bathroon

Sponsored Links
If that is the source of the leak then you would have to go into the tile to get at it.
However, your pic looks like an MC Escher drawing - why not post a pic giving a larger context?

I don't know what an MC drawing is,the tiles are reflective,I didn't want me to be in the pic as well,I was trying to take the pic in front of it,so people could see what I was referring to.

View media item 94284

Unfortunately you would not be able to get a spanner in there to tighten the nut. You could possibly do it from the other side of the wall if it is a stud wall. There's a possibility that you could carefully chip around the tile to make the hole big enough to pull the pipe out slightly but it depends on how much movement is on the pipe. The hole could then be covered with a chrome collar.

Sponsored Links
Clean all water away from the area then wait and systematically run your finger over each joint in turn to find out where it's coming from.

The water maybe running back( or forward) from the leak.

The tiles are Porcelain so I don't imagine anyone will want to touch this problem with a barge pole because of possibly damaging the tiles etc to get to it.

Only had the Bathroom done 4 months,lived with a 1970's Bathroom for 19 years,but we have had several problems with this installation,wish I'd never bothered having it done.

Thank you for the replies.

If you have a spare tile or can get hold of one then it's not a major problem. Have you considered getting the fitter back?

The fitter flooded my Kitchen,then the radiator he also fitted in my Lounge was leaking a couple of months ago & he said I was off with him on the message I left him on his phone, he said he won't be returning ,so he's not interested.

I wouldn't mind if I was off with him,but I was perfectly reasonable,I didn't shout or anything,I didn't even say anything to him when he flooded the Kitchen!

So the fitter returning is not a option.

IF (I can't tell from the photograph) the pipe which comes out of the nut you believe is leaking can be detached from the radiator,

AND

you could get the radiator off without damaging the tiles,

Then you could:

a. Drain the system
b. Remove the radiator
c. Use a diamond drill (Porsadrill type) to provide better access to the compression nut. (i.e. make a bigger hole through the porcelain)
d. Use a box type spanner to tighten the nut onto the pipe.
e. Use a chrome cover to cover up the gap. (Check what you can get and that it would be a greater diameter than the drill before you start)
f. Replace the radiator
g. Refill the system

There's someone coming to look at my faulty boiler on Friday so he's now going to look at the rad at the same time,not sure what he will make of it as I remember him saying he doesn't fit tiles himself,when he does a Bathroom he gets a tiler in.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back