Towel Radiator - Regulations is a Thermo Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Just built an extension and have an en-suite, in it I am putting a fairly large towel chrome towel rail which will be more than enough to heat the room, anyhow the question is will building control expect a thermostat on it or not? There is no other radiator in the en-suite and this towel rail is plumbed to the main system.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My advice is to fit a TRV.

Assuming this is an addition to your existing heating system I can see no reason not to use one.

Its unlikely any towel rail will provide enough heat particularly when covered with towels.

Tony

only reason is they look unsightly on the design I have, and as the room is small and this is a 1.5 Metre by 1 Metre I am sure it will be enough to heat room, but if not i would leave it on all the time so wouldn't want a TRV.

So would I have to by Building regs?

I dont think that one is automatically required on an additional radiator if the boiler has not been changed as part of the job.

The need to upgrade controls is activated by replacing the boiler.

There are some nice mostly chrome types. Its only the very cheap ones which are unsightly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
diybristol said:
only reason is they look unsightly on the design I have, and as the room is small and this is a 1.5 Metre by 1 Metre I am sure it will be enough to heat room, but if not i would leave it on all the time so wouldn't want a TRV.

So would I have to by Building regs?

No

so building regs etc only make you put on radiators not towel heaters even though this is the main source of heat in the room?

diybristol said:
so building regs etc only make you put on radiators not towel heaters even though this is the main source of heat in the room?
No. Reread Agile's post above "The need to upgrade controls is activated by replacing the boiler" ie not simply by adding another rad to an existing system.

That said you should still give a TRV serious thought especially when the rad / towel rail is overspecified for the room irrespective of intended placement of towels.

But it a new build extension... also if anything the output is under what is actually required for the room size??

You won't fail BRs by NOT fitting a rad to a new extension. You can retrofit after completion and as long as you do not change the boiler (or HW cylinder I believe) there is NO trigger for a TRV. It therefore follows that there is [edit] no BR requirement in your case.

If you know the rad / rail is under specced for the room, why fit it? Do the job once and do it right - so either up the spec or fit an extra rad WITH trv in either case.

It really isn't necessary to fit one with a higher output, the higher the output the larger they seem to be and more expensive. As is an extension, they are so well insulated that in my opinion it wasn't necessary. Thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back