Towel radiator, valves and iso valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new towel radiator, and some straight valves for it. Currently the copper pipe that comes out of the floor has an isolating valve on each pipe.

Should I leave these isolating valves on, then just have a length of chrome pipe, then the radiator valves and radiator?

Or remove the isolating valves altogether?

They seem quite useful for being able to change the radiator, or renovate the room as I am currently. But I've read mixed things about whether you should have them on central heating.

Also, my straight radiator valve (photo attached), does this just screw directly into the radiator? It fits, but do you just need some PTFE tape for this? I don't understand why it has a nut with rubber washer as well, I show it in the photo.

I'm a bit confused and stuck, and help would be great, thanks

20200529_140223.jpg
20200529_140820.jpg

Sponsored Links
The thread that goes into the radiator has to have thread sealing tape (PTFE) applied to seal the thread.
The ball o fix isolators are not required and are liable to fail , remove them.
The rubber seal makes the watertight joint from valve to valve tail. Just another way of making a joint. Some are compression fittings with olive ,yours isn't !!

The thread that goes into the radiator has to have thread sealing tape (PTFE) applied to seal the thread.
The ball o fix isolators are not required and are liable to fail , remove them.

Then what is the best thing to do where that joint is? It's at floor level and there is no give for the pipes to come up higher. If I take off the isolating valves will the end of the pip be ruined and need to be cut?

I just don't think there's enough space to extend the pipe if I take them off

Sponsored Links
You can connect chrome plated copper pipe to copper pipe with a compression fitting ,but you CANNOT use push fit fittings on chrome plated copper.
I would solder them ,but that requires all the chrome to be filed off ,back to clean copper ,in the area to be soldered to the fitting.

I
You can connect chrome plated copper pipe to copper pipe with a compression fitting ,but you CANNOT use push fit fittings on chrome plated copper.
I would solder them ,but that requires all the chrome to be filed off ,back to clean copper ,in the area to be soldered to the fitting.
Thanks. It's quite a tall towel radiator for the room, so I might just get it done in copper not too high off the ground, and if it bothers me I'll just use those clip on chrome things you can get

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back