towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a ladder type towel radiator for the bathroom. It's designed to be plumbed in to a wet system and can also take an electric element for use when the heating is off.

Don't have a wet system here, so just plan to use it with the element. It just occurred to me 'though, that I will be sealing it completely, so there will be nowhere for expanding fluid to go when it heats up, as there would be if it were plumbed into a wet system. Will this be a problem? I'm guessing not as water doesn't expand too much and you can get sealed in only electric rails that are similar, but just thought I'd better check here. Sometimes I think the sealed units are filled with oil. Maybe this is to prevent corrosion or maybe oil has a lower expansion coefficient?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's designed to take an electric element then no problem. Make/model?

Sponsored Links
If it's designed to take an electric element then no problem.
Until the stat fails and the steam has got nowhere to go. :eek:

I once had a stat on an immersion tank fail and the water started boiling. I was surprised to find out that stats failing is quite common and even more surprised to find out that they aren't fail safe - they don't just kill the current when they fail.

However, electric only liquid filled towel radiators - completely sealed - are commonplace. I don't believe that this would be the case if there was a risk of them exploding if the stat failed. This rad if fairly thick steel and the element is 250W. I'm not sure that it even has a stat - given the size of the rad I think the heat would be dissipated as fast as it is put in by the element so there would be a safe maximum temp that it could get to. Nothing with the rad, but the instructions for the element state "fill the rad 80 - 90% full with water then switch on with the bleed valve open and allow the rad to reach max temp. Then close the valve. This would sound like a reasonable enough way to avoid damage from expansion.

denso13 - yes it's designed to take an element, but it's also designed to be plumbed in (where the expanding water would have somewhere to go). I was unsure whether it was designed to have the element without being plumber in to a system also.

here's a link to the product: http://www.screwfix.com/p/kudox-curved-chrome-towel-radiator-1500-x-600mm-570w-1945btu/93859

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back