Towel Rail and Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at replacing my en suite on the 1st floor radiator with a Towel radiator. Seems a daft question but most articles I read all say that the pipes need to come from the wall not the floor. Like a lot of houses my radiator pipes come from the floor and go into the side of the radiator

Current radiator is 640mm wide and the towel radiator we like is only 500mm wide. Thing is can I just extend the current pipe to meet the new radiator in the same way as the exisiting one ? And, typically can the valves turn 90 degress to do that?

My wall is breeze block and floor is chipboard

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I would lift the floor if you can and do the job properly.
And get the valves to suit.
Just bear in mind something that is said on this subject all the time that the towel rail will not have the same heat output as your old radiator.
Even less when the towels are on it.
So a little homework is required to compare the heat outputs to get a reasonable heat output as practically as possible.

Thanks for the reply. It occured to me as well to do that and I still might. I suppoe it wouldn't take much to extend the pipes and chase out the wall to lay them in. Would just be simpler if I could just T out of the rad to the existing pipes....

For the ultimate finish (in my opinion), chrome tails vertically down through the floor.

Sponsored Links
Looking at some rails last night I did note that the valves etc swivel through at least 90 degress so can come out sideways as a "normal" rad and I can extend the pipework with some nice quality chromed pie and valves to make it all look shiny and new.

So I have both options open to me :D

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back