Towel Warmer / Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really confused about radiators.

I've been looking at a Myson Ladder Towel Rail / Radiator. The technical literature says the painted one @ about £400 is only suitable for a closed circuit application but the chrome one @ about £900 is suitable for any CH application.

So I've standard white radiators running off an open vented CH system which don't seem to be suffering from corrosion, but the white Myson Ladder Rail / Radiator might.

Why might the white one run OK on a sealed system but not be OK for an Open Vented one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ive never heard of any harm being done.
As long as you have a fully serviced boiler with protective chemicals any towel rad will be fine.

ps My little myson towel warmer is perfect on a vented system.

Al

I've just found the below on the internet.
It seems that indirect / closed circuit systems are the norm, and I'm sure my open-vented CH, even thought it's runs off a Powermax, falls into this category.
What I can't understand is why Myson Technical Dept told me that I'd need a sealed system for a Myson CMR.
I'm thinking that a sealed system and an open vented system falls into the Indirect/Closed System type described below.
Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------
SYSTEM TYPES

Indirect/Closed System

This is the most common type of central heating system. The system is filled with water. This water remains in the system and is circulated through the boiler and radiators. Where a standard boiler is used, hot water is heated and stored in a cylinder. The cylinder is of an indirect type which means it has a coil through which the heating water is circulated to heat the domestic hot water. This keeps the central heating water and domestic hot water separate.Where a Combi boiler is used, the domestic hot water is heated within the combi by utilising a small heat exchanger which again keeps the heating water and domestic hot water separate.

Direct/Open System

With this type of system mains water is used and continulally changed within the system. The water within the system is the same as is supplied to the hot water taps. Therefore, with a constantly changing water supply, the heating system must utilise materials that are impervious to this constant influx of fresh oxygen and bacteria. Only products marked with a 'D' are suitable for this type of system. The radiators most likely to be suitable for these systems are stainless steel and brass.
----------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
From my interpretation, it looks like a bit of confusion in the termimology.
'Indirect' systems are 'closed' systems, whether they are sealed or vented, as the heating system uses it's own water separate from the domestic hot water. This water can be treated with corrosion inhibitors etc.

'Direct' or 'open' systems could also in theory be vented or sealed, but without their own separate water, so they circulate the domestic hot water through radiators etc. EG fitting a towel rail in the hot water supply to the bath, so it warms up as the bath is filled. Any additives here would end up in your bath!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back