Tower cranes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if appropriate for this forum, but I'll give it a go anyway :sneaky:

Anyone with knowledge of how these devices work? TC's have always fascinated me, as despite looking like they could be blown over by a moderately high wind, seem to be capable of lifting surprisingly heavy loads ... there is one operating close to my address that is reputedly able to lift 25 tons/tonnes ! I always assumed that the balance weights moved outwards to compensate for the opposite load travelling further from the tower, but apparently not as the blocks remain static at the far end of the (reverse?) jib.
Thanks in advance to any contributor who cares to answer.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't move the counter weight dynamically, its set for specific lifting given the weight of the load and the range off the boom needed. Further means less working capacity

when I was involved in the planning of our new building I was interested that the tower crane position was very carefully organised and planned to be able to reach all areas, and that attention was paid to minimise the amount of rejigging needed from foundations to finishing.

Sponsored Links
I've always wondered how the operator can see what he's doing. Of course some times he doesn't.
Have used the mantis cranes with remote controls which allows you to get up close and personal and hands on with the lift.

I know it's not a tower crane but I've just been working at a power station where they were using a huge Baldwin 1275t mobile crane. It had to be assembled on site by another crane and a convoy of lorries. Photo attached is of the crane from Baldwins web site.
mar1849.jpg

Thanks to all who replied.
SFK - the pages read more as an advert for the company & some wouldn't load, but thank you anyway.

Any contributors who actually operate these contraptions, or know someone who does?
As for the toilet Woody I guess it's a bucket 'n chuck-it job (preferably when the operator is back at ground level :rolleyes:) Not a job to have if you like late night curries !

3 cranes where i was working today all within each others radius nightmare for the banksman i hate the things
glad i only bank mobile cranes

one of my good friends used too operate and construct them till this happened
http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/1357/

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 159
Norseman (and all),
Yes sorry that that website is so bad, and agree that it seems to be only there as click bait.
But this was the page that I found most useful to answer your question
https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/tower-crane2.htm

as it had this paragraph that is the same as Motorbikings answer:
"The maximum load that the crane can lift is 18 metric tons (39,690 pounds), but the crane cannot lift that much weight if the load is positioned at the end of the jib. The closer the load is positioned to the mast, the more weight the crane can lift safely. The 300 tonne-meter rating tells you the relationship. For example, if the operator positions the load 30 meters (100 feet) from the mast, the crane can lift a maximum of 10.1 tonnes."

I have update my link in my first response so it matches this link.
SFK

Many thanks to all who replied, I've more answers than questions now (as opposed to the other way around ;))

Taisun holds the world record for "heaviest weight lifted by crane", set in Yantai on April 18, 2008 and set at 20,133 metric tonnes (44,385,667.25 lb) by lifting a barge, ballasted with water.

Sponsored Links
Back