tower radiator cold, but not balance?

EdR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a tower radiator put in last summer. Can't seem to get in contact with the plumber. It doesn't get properly hot.

I tried to fix by balancing the system. I am not a plumber. May not have got it right.

The gas central heating man came round today to service the boiler and I asked him what he recommended.

He suggested first that valves were wrong way round, then that we should turn up the heating.

Finally he said pipes either side were hot, and very bottom of the radiator is hot, but the top four and a bit feet of the radiator were cold. He said the water is not circulating through the radiator.

The system was thoroughly flushed in summer. The system does not need bleeding (it's sealed, and we checked).

He suggested flushing radiator through and testing to see whether water can circulate. He said there may be a blockage.

The radiator is at the end of the system.

Does his suggestion make sense? Is he right that the pipes on either side being hot means it's not a balancing issue?

When I open the bleeding valve water squirts out.

Sponsored Links
Forget it. I have just gone back to it, and its now boiling hot.

I wonder whether he found out what was wrong, corrected it, and couldnt bring himself to give me a fourth explanation.

Whatever. I'm warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back