TR2 thermostat wires - which is the neutral?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just looking for some simple information which I can't find online anywhere. I have an old RD532i boiler and TR2 thermostat. The wires between them are labelled F, 3 and 4. Can anyone tell me which of those three wires are the neutral, the live and the switched live? (I think that's what they actually are)

Sponsored Links
You might not actually have a neutral, it could be low voltage. A photo may be useful.

Hi,
Are you trying to find out what the existing connections are between the two, or are you trying to connect them together?
If they are already connected (and if this is your model!), The wiring connections are listed on p.8 and p.22

Edit:
TR2's are low voltage only and should never be connected to the mains, hence the F, 3 and 4 labels

Attachments

• tr2-room-thermostat-instructions.pdf
    237.3 KB · Views: 233
  • rd_532i.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I am not connecting them together. I just need to identify which wire is which. I know the TR2 is a low voltage device. Here is a photo of the connections to the boiler.

Attachments

• PXL_20211009_162315378.jpg
    PXL_20211009_162315378.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
I may be mistaken, but it sounds as if you are expecting the TR2 to behave as a simple thermostat, i.e. have a live, neutral and switched live (albeit having a low voltage equivalent).

Because the TR2 is fully integrated into the boiler, the wiring may (although I am unsure) be 0V, +V and Data.

It does not behave in the same way as a simple thermostat.

There is some further info here:
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/worcester-bosch-tr2-room-stat-reverse-engineered-428844-.htm

Why do you want to know what the wires do?

It's to remove the TR2. And a pair of the wires need to be bridged. Believe me I have read all the articles and that one about the reverse engineering isn't clear. It talks about finding the resistance between two pairs of the 3 wires but without making it clear which is which.

I'm sorry, I uploaded the wrong manual for the boiler model you have.
Having read that, may I suggest you do the same?
All the information you need is there.

The article I linked to, did state which connections should be made to where.
However, this article is only relevant where the boiler has no means of external control and you wish to bypass the TR2.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back