Tracing electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 bedrooms upstairs. A couple of days ago 2 of the ceiling lights stopped working. Yesterday, only 1 is not working. I have checked the ceiling wire in the loft for signs of wear or breakage but all seems fine. The wiring in the ceiling roses seem sound. Nothing has been tripped in the consumer unit.
Any suggestions on what the cause might be, what I should be checking for, or the best way to trace the fault.
I thought it might be an overloaded circuit as an attic light was recently added, but I assume this would cause a trip in the consumer unit.

:cry:

Sponsored Links
have you checked / changed the light switch since it is the only moving part

If an attic light was recently added I assume it was connected to the existing lighting circuit from a ceiling rose and I suspect a loose connection is the cause of the problem.
Why not use a non contact voltage tester along side of the wire from ceiling rose to lamp, this will show if the wire is live when the switch is on, if it is live the 'neutral is suspect' if not there is no incoming live from the previous rose unless the switch is faulty
You can use the tester in the attic on the cables to ensure each rose has a live supply feeding it and another live leaving it to feed the next rose [except the last rose in the sequence]
There will also be a live supply going to the switch
I recently purchased another non contact voltage tester made by/for Draper approx £3.00 and I find it quite good
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back