Tracking and brakes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my tracking re-aligned. I have now just had new brake pads fitted a few days later (brakes were not known to be out of life when tracking done).
Would having new pads fitted have affected the tracking and would it need re-doing?
I suspect not but wanted to check with powers that really know.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tracking is the allignment of your wheels. The norm is that they are both just a tiny amount turned in from parallel. This is adjusted by means of the track rod ends which are (usually) towards the rear of the car behind the disc. They are screwed in or out to lengthen either 'track rod', shortening it pulls the back of the wheels in and lengthening it pushes the back out.

The track rod ends are the moving end (ball joint) of the steering rack.

The brake pads are mounted on the hub either side of the disc and move with the hub. To fit them you only remove the caliper at most.

Nothing affecting the tracking will have been disturbed, so it doesn't need adjusting.

The only times it will need adjusting is if you have a track rod end, steering rack or on some cars a bottom ball joints replaced.

Hope that gives you a better understanding of what's going on.

Sponsored Links
The above post is actually quite misleading imho. The norm is that FWD cars usually toe out and RWD cars usually toe in a bit while the car is at stand still. Track rods can be either at the front or the rear of the wheel so lengthening or shortening will have a different affect depending upon where the steering rack is mounted.

Back