Rover 420 TD Brakes Catching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can cast some light on a problem I have with my Rover 420 brakes. I recently drove a few hundred miles back from holiday and after driving the last 100 miles of this journey I came to a roundabout and a lot of grey smoke was coming from under my drivers side front wheelarch. When I pulled over and got the wheel off, the rim itself was red hot and so was the brake assembly and disc. I checked the wear on the pads and all seemed fine - I checked the brake fluid and all was fine. I took the wheel off on the opposite side and the rim on the opposite side was not hot (just a bit warm) and the brake assembly could be touched. Now I have noticed the brakes catching and squeaking whilst in normal driving whilst not braking. When applying the brakes they squeal a bit louder and then stop once they have started to bite. I have also noticed that the brakes only squeek in normal operation when driving in a straight line - if I turn left or right whilst driving the squeeking stops. I have also now noticed that whilst driving the steering wheel wobbles ever so slightly... could the two things be connected? Is my rim warped? Could that cause problems with the brakes? Can the tracking effect this?
I'm just trying to second guess the problem before I put it into the garage and get a whopping repair bill!

If anyone with experience of brake repairs/tracking/rims etc can respond that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

Sponsored Links
bob2307 said:
Now I have noticed the brakes catching and squeaking whilst in normal driving whilst not braking.
You have one or more sticking caliper pistons.

bob2307 said:
When applying the brakes they squeal a bit louder and then stop once they have started to bite.
Perhaps even a completely stuck piston.

bob2307 said:
I have also noticed that the brakes only squeek in normal operation when driving in a straight line - if I turn left or right whilst driving the squeeking stops.
It's normal for there to be some runout on discs.

bob2307 said:
I have also now noticed that whilst driving the steering wheel wobbles ever so slightly... could the two things be connected?
Yes - the pad is in contact with one side of the disc, all the time.

bob2307 said:
Is my rim warped? Could that cause problems with the brakes?
Wheel rim? No. Disc? Possibly.

bob2307 said:
Can the tracking effect this?
No. Not in this instance.

bob2307 said:
I'm just trying to second guess the problem before I put it into the garage and get a whopping repair bill!
Oh dear. Given the price of brake parts you're probably not going to avoid a whopping bill. Sorry.

Bob2307, further to the sound advice from softus I suggest you try this:-

Drive the vehicle for a while to get a bit of heat into the brakes. Jack up the car on the side that's binding until the wheel is clear of the ground. Employment of an axle stand would be sensible. Slacken the bleed nipple on the caliper. Does the wheel free up or not? If it doesn't you have a sticky piston as softus suggested. If it does then your flexible brake hose has collapsed and needs replacing. This is a common problem. And simple to rectify.

keyplayer said:
If it does then your flexible brake hose has collapsed and needs replacing.
A very good point, and one that has caused me to repeatedly kick my own behind.

Sponsored Links
bob2307/softus wrote:
When applying the brakes they squeal a bit louder and then stop once they have started to bite.

Perhaps even a completely stuck piston.

bob2307 wrote:
I have also noticed that the brakes only squeek in normal operation when driving in a straight line - if I turn left or right whilst driving the squeeking stops.

It's normal for there to be some runout on discs.

I would go along with all comments.
I am not fully conversant with these cars, do they have they have pistons either side of the discs or a sliding caliper arrangement? The latter can have corrosion or wear problems on the slides which gives the same effect as a stuck piston/s likewise corrosion on the steel part of the pads can cause the same.

You also commented about straightline brake squeaking, which goes when turning, and steering wheel judder. Both these could be symptoms of loose or worn wheel bearings, it would be wise to mention this to the garage as it would be cheaper to get the lot done at the same time.

paulbrown said:
...could be symptoms of loose or worn wheel bearings...
And there goes the other heel into the other buttock. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! (etc. etc.)

Hi guys,

thankyou for the speedy response! I am not driving the car much this weekend as my dad has insured me on his car until mine gets sorted (better to be safe than sorry with overheating brakes!). I will take the car out on Sunday and see if I can get somewhere to slacken the bleed nipple on the caliper to see if that is the problem - otherwise I will advise the garage of the possibility of a sticky piston. How much do you think this may cost? Are we talking a few hundred because if so I may just consider getting a new car (as i was considering already - I hate the car!)

I can see garage proprietor rubbing his hands together already.

My dad in his wisdom decided to have a look himself this afternoon and claimed after some deliberation that it could be the brake cylinder... is this likely? He said I could just swap one of them but surely they should be swapped in pairs? Any info would be great!

Thanks, Aaron

bob2307 said:
My dad in his wisdom decided to have a look himself this afternoon and claimed after some deliberation that it could be the brake cylinder
WTF? You surely don't have drums on the front? Does he mean brake caliper?

bob2307 said:
He said I could just swap one of them but surely they should be swapped in pairs? Any info would be great!
Things are getting a bit confused. Slave cylinders are dirt cheap - calipers quite the opposite.

If you have drums on the rear, then it's potentially dangerous to change only one slave cylinder, since it may cause an imbalance.

If you have discs on the front, then I'm not so sure of my grounds, in which case you should consult the vehicle and/or caliper manufacturer.

If you drums on the front, then it's time to consider changing your car for something that was made after 1970.

bob2307 said:
My dad in his wisdom decided to have a look himself this afternoon and claimed after some deliberation that it could be the brake cylinder... is this likely? He said I could just swap one of them but surely they should be swapped in pairs? Any info would be great!

Thanks, Aaron

I'm as confused as softus - how was this diagnosis arrived at other than with deliberate wisdom? What tests did he carry out to support his theory?

Sponsored Links
Back