Can brake hose cause this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my post below I detail the issues I had with just one brake locking up gradually until it is almost entirely stuck - this after about 30 minutes of normal driving. I have spoken to a garage up north (recommended by a relative) and the chap there reckons that just one brake doing this after a bit of driving and then releasing after it cools is very symptomatic of a defective flexible pipe at the wheel. Before I spend any more money I wonder what you guys think. I have a nice quote from Any Car and I have declared the brake issue, but I might have one more go at a repair if possible.

Sponsored Links
It can be symptomatic of a flexible breaking up internally or indeed a rigid pipe partially blocked with debris, acting as a one way valve, but more usually it is a caliper piston sticking and failing to release. It should be fairly obvious from how the car 'feels' on the road, which wheel is affected and also obvious by the fact that the disk or drum will be hot compared to the others.

Yes, it definitely can happen. I have had this problem before with the hose collapsing internally. Brake pedal pressure can force fluid pass the blockage but it can’t freely return to the master cylinder reservoir when the brake is released.

I've had exactly the same symptoms and it was a sticking piston in a front brake caliper. But it could also be the brake hose.

Brake hoses aren't expensive, so might be worth replacing the hose to see if it fixes the problem.

Sponsored Links
If its a collapsing flexi, the caliper will free up if the bleed nipple is loosened at the caliper but wear safeties so you don't get splashed in the eye.

I've encountered this once on a Peugeot 205, flexi was a one way valve, I had to open the bleed nipple to push back the brake piston as I was changing the metal to metal pads/disc so it could be used till I got a new hose. Never encountered it since and I only run old cars.

Back