'Squealing' wheels whilst driving, stops when braking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a problem with the front drivers side wheel of my car which I am struggling to find a solution to.

Make: Vauxhall
Model: Astra SRI
Engine size/Type: 1.8 petrol
Year: 2008 (58 plate)
Mileage: 47,000

After around 30 mins or so of driving it begins letting off a high pitched squealing noise. This noise will come and go whilst driving in a straight line but stops whilst braking or turning.

I have recently replaced both brake pads and discs to attempt to cure the problem as they were fairly worn, but the noise persists.

Therefore i've ruled out the brakes or anything caught in the brakes/wheels. I was thinking maybe the bearings? But my knowledge of cars doesn't extend that far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
I think your wheel bearings are ruined but you can confirm by checking how hot the bearing enclosure gets. What confounds this is braking will also heat the wheel.
If it is the bearings do not overtorque the fastening nut.

The noise you hear is the disc pads lightly kissing the disc surface.
This is due to excess dust, or maybe the caliper isn't allowing the pads to disengage due to a build up of dirt.
A much rarer phenomenon is the disc surface becoming glazed, and often there is some bluing visible.
I'd recommend a good clean up, and certainly any non friction contact surfaces need a coat of coppaslip or similar.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I have a problem with the front drivers side wheel of my car which I am struggling to find a solution to.

Make: Vauxhall
Model: Astra SRI
Engine size/Type: 1.8 petrol
Year: 2008 (58 plate)
Mileage: 47,000

After around 30 mins or so of driving it begins letting off a high pitched squealing noise. This noise will come and go whilst driving in a straight line but stops whilst braking or turning.

I have recently replaced both brake pads and discs to attempt to cure the problem as they were fairly worn, but the noise persists.

Therefore i've ruled out the brakes or anything caught in the brakes/wheels. I was thinking maybe the bearings? But my knowledge of cars doesn't extend that far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Hi Dandyman, reviving a pretty old forum here so this may come as a memory test!
Firstly, did you ever find & fix the issue? I have the exact same problem on my 2009 Astra.
Can you also recall if the steering wheel would “shudder” at higher (motorway) speeds?
Thanks!
Jim

Your steering shudder is due to the wheels not being balanced correctly.......braking may or may not make any difference.
Any brake squeal is due to the pads not fully releasing for one reason or another. Any issue here will make one side wheel be much hotter than the other - it isn't a good idea to check by poking the disc with your finger!
John :)

Back