Garage diagnosed cause of loss of brake fluid today, it's the metal brake pipes. some questions ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree with Mottie regarding a gradual loss of fluid, it won't be your brake pipes causing it. I'd check you carpet above the brake pedal, the bulkhead behind the servo and each caliper or wheel cylinder if it has rear drums. Brake fluid is water soluble though so it can get washed off. For that reason, it might not cause the mess an oil leak would.
I would guess all your pipes might require replacing but you can re-route new pipes around and under things like fuel tanks etc and leave the old pipes disconnected/redundant but still in place.

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the offending pipe then a motor factor may well be able to make a replacement for you - usually they use a cupro-nickel pipe that will last for ever.
Research single and double flares so you can understand what people are talking about.
John :)

I found this link and I would buy it now but still have few questions. I think the brake pipes are in sections so that you can change individual pieces but I want a pipe the exact same size and length as the orignial, on the listing for these brake pipes it says Fitted from brake hose to middle rear brake pipe. will that be entire pipe or just a section of it / thanks

I'd agree with Mottie regarding a gradual loss of fluid, it won't be your brake pipes causing it. I'd check you carpet above the brake pedal, the bulkhead behind the servo and each caliper or wheel cylinder if it has rear drums. Brake fluid is water soluble though so it can get washed off. For that reason, it might not cause the mess an oil leak would.
I would guess all your pipes might require replacing but you can re-route new pipes around and under things like fuel tanks etc and leave the old pipes disconnected/redundant but still in place.

so if the brake pipe was leaking it would be evident in presenting itself such as a soft brake pedal or something ?
the guy did say it was leaking from brake pipe should i get second opinion ? .

Sponsored Links
I found this link and I would buy it now but still have few questions. I think the brake pipes are in sections so that you can change individual pieces but I want a pipe the exact same size and length as the orignial, on the listing for these brake pipes it says Fitted from brake hose to middle rear brake pipe. will that be entire pipe or just a section of it / thanks
You can change just corroded parts, you cut out the corroded bit, throw on a male or female coupling, flare the end and do the same on the new piece of pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back