Trad wooden baton, external corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m renovating a traditional tenement and looking for advice how to re-plaster an external corner, which had a rounded wooden baton running vertically. See photo.

I’d like to keep this baton if I can, skimming the walls on either side. However unsure how to do this. I like the rounded corner look.

Originally the plaster ran to about 5mm from the baton and then is angled at about 45 degrees until it meets the baton.

any thoughts?

daljit

Sponsored Links
Daljit, good evening.

Image not uploaded?

Not to worry, I have seen it done, but it takes time, a lot of slow careful trowel work. Historically i think there must have been a shaped trowel that completed the 45 Degree slope.

Nearest tool i can think of now is the square edged internal corner finishing tool??

I have always hated when you see such a corner filled, generally badly with Polyfilla or similar.

Ken

9DD9F996-41D3-4669-BECD-6097A8ADA7F3.jpeg
Ken, thanks for the response.

Hopefully photo uploaded this time. Yes, the wall’s been repaired over the years with polyfiller and like.

I’m thinking I’ll need to chip away old plaster/polyfiller before skimming otherwise skim at corner would sit proud of the baton?

yip, I know the corner trowel you mean. I wonder how it was originally done - the line before baton is completely straight, almost as if a temporary baton was used.

daljit

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that link Ken. A quirked staff bead - who woulda thought!

Ive not been able to open all the photos on that thread (on my phone) but it seems the OP opted to mould the corners out of plaster, rather than stick with wooden beads. Other posters suggested quirk created by channeling out plaster in situ, after running the undercoat/skim to the bead using a moulded block (I think). I’d love to see a video of this corner being created. Strange how it’s not ‘out there’ as I think every tenement I lived in has had these corners. And if you compare these to those created by a metal angle bead, the latter finish just looks cheap n nasty. Saying that, I used precisely this method to box in a supporting beam (not sure if there is an alternative).

I’ve emailed technical team at historic environment Scotland - I’ll let you know if I find out anything worthwhile.

daljit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back