Traditional loft insulation no good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few weeks I have been bombarded with calls by various people from an organisation called Coastal Efficiency who insist that:
(a) mineral wool loft insulation is no longer recommended by 'the government' as it is an irritant and doesn't work (!)
(b) that they have been asked by 'the government' to survey everyone's roof space, advise on the (in)adequacy of their existing insulation and give them details of a new product Insultec - I think - which is sprayed on the underside of the roof.

The latest lively conversation I had with a representative who called this morning ended with me ridiculing the whole idea and asking to be taken off their database. Which of course he's not allowed to do until the survey has been done.

My loft is filled with about 8-10" of mineral wool at the sides, and two layers of 50mm Celotex boards over joists (with insulation between joists beneath) in the centre, covered with chipboard loft panels.

Is anyone aware of a change in the recommendations for materials used in loft insulation? I know that the mineral wool rolls on sale at Wickes, etc, cost far more now they're no longer subsidised, but not subsidising it is a long way from not recommending it.

I just want to confirm these cowboys are indeed talking complete bs before I go into battle.

Sponsored Links
"heeelllooo is that mister big all"[from script]

"who is this "

" is that mister big all"[back to script]

"who is this"

"i am xyz"[back to script]

"where did you get my number from "

back to script

"please remove me from your data base thank you good bye"

take them off the script and they are lost

Thanks JohnD, Big-all.

It didn't seem likely I would miss something as dramatic as no longer recommending mineral wool insulation, but you never know.

My number is already registered with TPS. I've got theirs now having 1471'd it, so I'll try making a complaint.

Sponsored Links
If you're already on TPS you can interrupt their script

- why are you ringing me?
- no, I mean why aren't you obeying the TPS rules?

Overseas countries don't follow TPS though.

If you're already on TPS you can interrupt their script

- why are you ringing me?
- no, I mean why aren't you obeying the TPS rules?

Overseas countries don't follow TPS though.
yes i am with the tps
most are from"talk talk" so illegal overseas
if you say you are registered with the tps as i used to it made no difference
thats why i developed the stance above that seems to work
i never answer with my name or number its always heeelllooo:D

Hi,

Make them aware you are tps registered.
Tell them never to call this number again otherwise you will report them to offcom.
Hang up

That usually works, although I have reported 2 firms which funnily enough stopped phoning me.

I have lots of fun like johnD with the foreign ones as there is bugger all you can do to them except mess up their call stats.

Graeme
Ps 2 firms close to me in similar industry were recently fined 180 and 200k respectively for this sort of thing.

Is anyone aware of a change in the recommendations for materials used in loft insulation?

There is no change.

Neither were there any recommendations from "the Government" in the first place.

'they have been asked by 'the government' to survey everyone's roof space,'

That's the best one:LOL:

I just googled Coastal efficiency - masses of info on them - all normal stuff. I'd love them to cold call me, I'm well up for a fight ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back