Traffic noise down chimneys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an open gas fire fitted as well as a gas Aga. We are now very aware of traffic noise being transmitted down both chimneys. We live next to a busy road. Both chimneys have a mushroom type cowl on the top and my intial thought was that the top of the mushroom was reflecting sound down the flues, but a local engineer says this is highly unlikely and has never been a factor in his 20 years experience. Is there anything out there that can act as a sound absorber while keeping the flues open for continual use?

Sponsored Links
This is the first time that I have heard of this complaint.

The flue must be kept clear of obstructions so that it can do its job.

In theory if its an open brick chimney then it would be possible to line it with sound absorbing material.

In practice then its not possible!

So I cannot suggest any solution to preventing the noise.

All I can offer is that you develop an interest in music or TV and listen to something rather than sitting in silence listening to traffic noise.

Tony

Is this a wind up? How quiet was it before? There is nothing that can be added to flues to stop noises. Get used to it.

Sponsored Links
[quote="Duncow2006";p="2222381"]I have recently had an open gas fire fitted as well as a gas Aga. We are now very aware of traffic noise being transmitted down both chimneys. We live next to a busy road.

I have only ever had one similar complaint, and that was after fitting a back boiler to a previously unlined brick chim used for solid fuel. The liner and terminal was the culprit, and the saving grace for me was that my clients neighbour was moaning as well, but I had not fiittd that one. The noise was reduced massively by replacing the metal terminal with terracotta one.

Both chimneys have a mushroom type cowl on the top

Can you post a pic or image of the terminal? Are the flues lined?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back