Traffic Vibrations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, it's a long shot I know, but...
We live in a rural area. Our property sits on a small 'b' road that is frequented by some pretty thunderous HGVs.
As these mega-monsters pass over the undulations in the road's surface, we experience 'tremors' which I'm desperate to mitigate.
My ideas thus far are:-
1. Break up the concrete driveway (that may be transferring the vibrations) and replace with gravel, which will also help with surface water (the drive needs replacing anyway).
2. Dig a narrow (but very deep) trench along the border of my property and backfill it with sand (?) in the hope that this will act as a dampener of sorts.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks for listening!
Olly

Sponsored Links
Be aware that services, pipes and cables may be crossing across the boundary from street to driveway so take care if or when digging.

i suspect changing driveway will make little to no difference, the impact goes into the ground and spreads sideways and down rather than just sideways but purely a guess??

Thanks for the input! Now, this might sound like crazy talk, but last night I was contemplating another idea; What about a 100mm wide x 600mm deep trench, with 100mm EPS slotted into it? I know EPS mitigates soundwaves, and it's used beneath concrete slab floors, so maybe it'll help to reduce the traffic vibrations? Desperate times = desperate measures! Lol

Sponsored Links
i suspect changing driveway will make little to no difference, the impact goes into the ground and spreads sideways and down rather than just sideways but purely a guess??

Rail track 100yards at the back of our house, in a cutting. We don't usually hear the trains, but do sometimes feel the vibration from their passing.

I think what you'd need to do, before you try any of your ideas, is consult whatever field of expert knows about this stuff so they can advise if it's likely to have the desired effect or not. Last thing you want to do is invest time and money into e.g. creating a dampening zone all around your property to then discover it's making zero difference.

Have a word with the council?

If the road has lumps and bumps all over it, having it repaired to smooth will make a big difference.

A double skin fence on the boundary may help as will adding solid wood gates to the front of your house. Note you will need planning (and probably wont get it) if you make it too big. check the regs.

Have a word with the council?

If the road has lumps and bumps all over it, having it repaired to smooth will make a big difference.
Thanks! To be fair to them, Highways have already repaired the offending drain covers twice in the two years we've lived here! Trouble is, the big aggregate trucks run in the gullies, and they are so damn heavy that the repairs only last a month or so. Hence my search for a dampening method. Reducing vehicle speed REALLY works. We had a temporary 20 limit in last year... BLISS!

Sponsored Links
Back