Training for dummies in essential DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My husband and I are 35 year olds who have been in corporate jobs all our life. Haven't had the need to do any major DIY ourselves other than replacing light bulbs, putting together the ocassional argos/ikea flatpack furniture and drilling the odd screw around the house. We now own our own home and in the past two months, have had the horror of having the change the cistern mechanism, fix the electric shower and build a garden fence. We've managed to complete all the jobs, but it did make us painfully aware of how much we don't know in this area. Do you know of any way that we could learn the basics of these skills through part-time evening or weekend courses? I've checked the local colleges in my borough and they only run these classes for students and those looking to pursue these professions as a career. I look forward to your helpful responses.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think that DIY skills are something you pick up along the way, some is trail and error and some has been passed down to you from a keen parents and family.
I have heard of handyman courses, don't know how intense they are or of there availability in your area.
The best advise would be get yourself a good DIY book, I understand the B&Q home improvement book is good as is the Collins DIY manual.
and stick around this website, read some relative posts and ask questions, some really good and helpful knowledge to be hard free of charge and normally quite a quick response.
There are lots of short coures available for things like tiling, plastering and domestic plumbing ets.. they will give you an insight to the skills involved also Youtube does supply some vids of certain trades doing their stuff.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back