On a forum what should you try to tell people?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are talking one to one with someone you make a judgment as to there ability and modify what you are saying according to what you think they will understand.
But on a forum you all talking to all not just the person who posted question.

One view is to arrive at a forum the person should be first directed to a projects section and any references to the different parts of building regulations should be covered there so should be no need to repeat in the forum. May be good idea but unlikely to work in practice?

It is so easy to quote the sensible approach and say “must” for example you must use a registered electrician to do work in a kitchen or bathroom. With the local authority charges in this area of £115 minimum to register work under Part P it would be sensible to use a registered electrician but you can DIY and if other notifiable work was being done at the same time it could still be an option.

But even a simple job like changing a ceiling rose can be dangerous when the person thinks switching the lights off will make it safe to work on! And for those in the know it seems so obvious you should switch off at the consumer unit they will often forget to mention where to isolate they will just say isolate.

The college lecturer with class full of students quickly gets to know what they understand and of course has earth leakage trips in case he makes a mistake but although the regulations may require earth leakage trips on most circuits it does not mean they will actually be there.

One can still remember the teacher saying “If I told you to put your finger in the fire would you do that?” after following instructions too literal.

And if I think I am talking to another electrician I am hardly likely to include step by step instructions as to how to make safe.

The screwfix and iet forums are advertised as for the profession and if an ordinary person goes onto these and makes a mistake then it’s there own fault but where DIY is included in title we should assume the only training they have received is how to change a plug when they were at school etc.

My son came home from school quite upset where his teacher had told them there were two types of transistor could anyone tell him what they were.

He answered “Field effect and Bi-polar sir” and was told no they are NPN and PNP which is a sub-division of the Bi-polar with teachers like that who did not even know what a field effect transistor was in spite of them being invented first how much can we rely on the school education system?

And my father tells me when he was at school pre-war he was just taught the 3 R’s never quite worked out why writing and arithmetic were considered as R’s?

And to say red or brown wire caused some confusion and fuse or MCB or RCBO or even overload device seems to really upset people and you get “What is a MCB?”

Then we start to nit pick where someone says “Only in the kitchen, bathroom and outdoors does Part P apply” where they should have said “You only need to notify in the kitchen, bathroom and outdoors under Part P” most people realise Part P applies to all domestic premises. Even then we have to remember premises only include building to which title deeds would be issued so mobile homes, caravans, boats etc. are not premises and only building which are charged domestic council tax are included. And even then, only in England and Wales.

Which really shows how daft it can get, if we try to include all when giving advice. So when asked for example “Is it the red wires that should go to my bathroom light or the black one with red sleeve” should we simply answer black one with red sleeve or should we tell the poster all about Part P and the new 17th Edition and need to use RCD’s ect?

Reason I ask is I have been accused of giving dangerous advice which was basically I failed to list all the regulations involved and when a simple question was asked like can I replace my fuses with MCB’s answered “Yes” and did not list all the dangers and regulations and tests that should be carried out.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The following letter was sent to site admin:-
Subject: Dangerous posts

Hello

I have recently joined your electrics forum and have posted answers to several questions.

The most prolific responder to questions posed by inexperienced members of the public with very serious electrical problems is "Ericmark"

The information he is giving the general public is at best inaccurate and at worst downright dangerous and irresponsible.

I've tried reasoning with him & quoting regs to steer him onto the correct path but he seems blinkered in his approach and grammatically very hard to understand even for someone who vaguely knows what he's on about.

I got the impression from your statement when part P was introduced that advise like this would be filtered out as most major electrical work in domestic properties now need building control which the average householder can't provide themselves!

Quote:- "(Removed name of forum) will continue to publish projects involving minor works which are permitted under the new regulations, eg the addition of a lighting point or socket to an existing circuit but regrets that because of insurance restrictions, is now unable to answer specific electrical questions."

This guy needs stopping or at least a disclaimer added to the start of every post warning people they shouldn't be doing major works themselves as they are breaking the law and possibly rendering their insurance null & void!!

What do you think?

If this is true then maybe he has a point. There is no difference to the way I answer posts on here than there was with other forum.
I am dyslexic and as a result I do make mistakes BAS is know as telling the truth as it is. So am I dangerous? Should I stop posting on DIY forums? As a frustrated electrician who can no longer work due to industrial injury I have enjoyed passing on my knowledge and a little debate.

Oh and yes good point on transistors a lot more than two types which having a degree in electronic and electrical engineering I was aware but the incident convinced my son his teacher was a fool and I had quite a job to convince him that because the teacher had made one mistake did not make him a fool. My son was 14 at the time and held a full amateur radio licence one would have thought the teacher would have checked his answer considering that and not just said he was wrong?

Eric

Quote:- "(Removed name of forum) will continue to publish projects involving minor works which are permitted under the new regulations, eg the addition of a lighting point or socket to an existing circuit but regrets that because of insurance restrictions, is now unable to answer specific electrical questions."
That's DIY Doctor - they are a bunch of lying patronising fools, and the guy in charge, Mike Edwards, is a bully and should not be allowed anywhere near any form of advice forum.

Ignore what they say - they are not interested in reality or accuracy or in being helpful.

Did the person who wrote that letter pursue you here because of a disagreement there?

Thank you BAS you have put my mind at rest.
And you are spot on as to which forum I had noted you were on it some years ago.
Anyway seems I am now "Banned" although I have not tried to post anything all started when I complained at 120 emails in one day where the admin had posted to try to get people to look at projects first which may be OK but not on threads over a year since anyone had posted on them.
Eric

Anyway seems I am now "Banned"
That's what they do to people who dare to question the way they run the place.

And my father tells me when he was at school pre-war he was just taught the 3 R’s never quite worked out why writing and arithmetic were considered as R’s?
And how many people remember sitting in infant's school chanting "I before E except after C"?

Just been having a look at that site.

They 'moderate' each and every post before it appears. What a ridiculous system.

I'm going to see how quickly I can get my self banned :D

That's DIY Doctor - they are a bunch of lying patronising fools, and the guy in charge, Mike Edwards, is a bully and should not be allowed anywhere near any form of advice forum.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Don't beat-about-the-bush, tell us what you really think :LOL:

Eric - No one gets posts right every time and you're no better or worse than the rest of us.

Keep posting

Thank you RF Lighting, Pensdown and BAS it would have been nice to have said good by to Sparx etc. But as you say odd system where every post is checked first before release. Which of course means they can't blame the poster for inappropriate content seen by another user.

The post "64% of the questions" is what got me kicked off. kbrownie and sparx as usual could see my point of view but the other two didn't and the site admin have been very selective in what they have deleted.

To view without logging in try http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=182 they only now have one guy with any knowledge Sparx the rest come and go and the delay which can be up to a day before posts are released means the poster does not need to be in a hurry.

Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back