Electrical Work in schools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of work do you think someone that's qualified with 17th Edition should be able to carry out who isn't reqistered in a Part P scheme in school premises (not caretakers home)?

Sponsored Links
does the caretakers home have it's own dedicated supply or is it fed from the school?

if it's dedicated then anything you want in the school is not notifiable under Part P as it's not getting it's feed from or supplying / sharing a feed with a dwelling..

there is probably something with the local authority though unless it's a private school..

Sponsored Links
What sort of work do you think someone that's qualified with 17th Edition should be able to carry out who isn't reqistered in a Part P scheme in school premises (not caretakers home)?

They can (right or wrong) do everything!

The school I work in (Part time) has no house attached. I've also got 2391 that i passed two years ago. I was just wondering

ps i also do gardening and use a Brush cutter and Hedge trimmer (both of which i have a City&Guilds NTPC qualification for) :D

The majority of if not all the schools I have worked in have always insisted on either ECA or NICEIC approved contractors.

also, (and I speak as I work in a school) you may need to be on the local education authorities/councils approved contractor list.

otherwise the school elf and stacy officer will be there to make sure you don't change a fuse....

The school currently uses an NICEIC approved electrican and i just change bulbs, fuses and tubes. Though i have changed a PIR outside light

There is a three phase supply and four other boards off it. Two of the boards have no circuit discrimination / sign writing. One board has an unterminated SWA left with the bare conductors showing, it's not live and I haven't a clue where it goes.

There are several PIR security lights that have been installed in the past that are too close to wooden doors when they are opened and hooked back, there are "burn" marks on two doors where they've got very hot in the past. I've removed the bulbs and won't replace them until they've been moved several inches and as BST :D approaches they won't be needed until after the summer holidays anyway

We had an electrican from the company come in to investigate an electric heater that kept tripping a board in the Nursery, he left saying he couldn't fix it (it was before my time).

There are switches that are bakelite too, the list could go on.....

The school doesn't appear to have a record of a PIR being completed though it has got an on going maintenance contract.

What you describe all seems perfectly normal and to be expected from an installation in the care of a NICEIC electrician.

why would you tar everyone with the same brush BAS?. you seem like a man for detail and some niceic contractors may have it. I have no agenda.

PIR's are not needed if there is a ongoing / planned maintenence schedule..

Two of the boards have no circuit discrimination / sign writing

I don't understand this remark..
the boards are not marked up and have the same size breakers in it as the breaker feeding it? is that what you are saying ?

why would you tar everyone with the same brush BAS?. you seem like a man for detail and some niceic contractors may have it. I have no agenda.
Sorry - I suppose it was a bit of an unfair generalisation.

I didn't actually say that all NICEIC contractors were like that, just that it's not at all surprising - we regularly see photos and hear stories here of dreadful incompetence/laziness, dangerous work, obviously falsified certificates etc, and it always seems to be NICEIC electricians responsible.

But I shouldn't assume that those instances aren't exceptional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back