alexa enabled wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have autism so please bear with me.

I have a smart light switch were my light electrical doesnt have the live wire. I have to use a remote control to turn the light on or off, however I now use broadlink so I can use alexa or siri.

I have no idea if my plug electrical wires in my home is missing a wire required for a smart alexa controlled socket. I have no clue regarding electrical stuff, I will get my mum in to do the wiring (she was a school caretaker/manager doing all sorts of DIY in schools).

so basically, would my home wire system allow and work with this?
i think my home was built in the 60's or 70's

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I have smart lights and smart sockets and they can be turned on/off with Google mini, however they have gone wrong and needed removing, I would after my problems suggest plug in options.

I agree with ericmark, plug-in smart sockets are a much better solution than a fixed socket outlet. If you ever decide to move the room around the smart socket just moves with the appliance it controls, if you move home you just take them with you and if one fails (happens more often than you'd think) you can just plug-in a replacement.

The reviews on that wall socket make it look awful, if I was you I'd go for something with a better reputation.

Sponsored Links
I am autistic and live at home with my mum who is my carer and I keep having "bright ideas".

I have smart plugs already and the one that I have is really bulky and I am sure it would be safer to have them built into the socket?

I know my smart light switch I had to get one with a remote control as the wires in my house are missing live on the light side of the electrical cables. I assume that the cables for the sockets must have all the cables as the light needs 2 core cables but the socket needs 3 as the plugs have 3 pins?

This is more of a curiosity over anything.

All socket outlets will have all of the required wiring for smart sockets.

However there may be a problem with the depth of the backbox, as smart sockets and those with USB and other devices in them often need a larger space behind, which older sockets did not.

There is no difference in safety between a plug in smart adaptor or a fixed socket outlet. What matters is the quality of the device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back