Wanting to install an Alexa light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 gang light switch as shown.....

20240310_174334.jpg

As you can see there are 3 brown live wires, connected to sockets marked "COM", and 3 blue neutral wires each connected to a socket marked "L1". The other sockets are all marked "L2". There is also an earth at the back. The blue wires also have brown sleeves on them.

I want to replace that switch with an Alexa controlled switch. The latter looks like this........

61Gfz10y6nL._SL1000_.jpg

As you can see there is only one neutral socket but four live sockets and I'm mystified as to how to connect it up. And I have no idea what a "zero line" is.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can get switches which don't require a neutral, although not that many with three gang. Most smart switches combine the lines, so question one, are all switches supplied from the same overload device?

Two are they all low voltage?

With my house I have one switch for hall, landing and outside lights a bank of 4 switches, two from one low voltage supply, one from another low voltage supply, and one from an extra low voltage supply. So you clearly need to check where supplied from.

I like the TP-Link switch as it has volt free contacts (battery powered) but it only has two gang versions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back