Help replacing dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for posting another switch wiring query but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I'd like to replace a dimmer switch with a standard switch so that I can use energy saving bulbs.

The dimmer has 2 x brown live wires connected to two different terminals, both marked L2 which are the only terminals on the switch. There is also a blue neutral wire in the socket but not connected to the switch itself.

The new switch has Com, L1 and L2 terminals - should I just connect the brown wires to L2 and leave the neutral wire loose as it is at the moment?

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

Sponsored Links
One brown wire will be the feed which goes into C and the other brown wire will be the switch wire which goes into L1 thats how i see it.whats the blue wire doing is it in a connector block?

Scott

Where and how is blue connected?
If you look at he cable brown, brown, blue are they within grey PVC sheaths and if so are they paired up or single?
Is there an earth (CPC) cable?
Firstly you need to know which one of the brown cables is offering the live feed to the switch.
You will need either a voltage tester or a multi-meter for this, once you have found this, that cable will be connected at your com terminal.
and the other brown cable to your L1 or L2 terminal.

Yes, the blue wire is in a connector block.

How would I know which brown wire was which? Or does it not matter?

Craig.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you posted while I was replying to the other post.

I'm not at home now but I'm pretty sure all the wires come out of 1 grey sheath. There is an earth cable aswell which is also attached to a connector block.

So I will use the multi-meter to find the live cable and attach that to Com, and the other to L1?

yeah use the tester to check which one is the feed which goes into C common,is the back box metal or plastic?

Remember to switch the power off once you have found out which one is the feed.

Just got round to this last night - switch working perfectly.

Thanks for your advice.

Craig.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back