Install Light Switch Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, just a quick question (hopefully); I would like to install a simple dimmer switch (C, L1, L2) for a light, with electricity coming from a socket..how to do??

I already tried once, but it ended with a bang / in the dimmer switch. What I tried was this: connect a wire from an existing socket (blue, brown, neutral to its colours inside socket box) and then on to the dimmer's points (i did C=blue, L1=brown, did not use earth), and then same wire on to the lamps via another socket. Did i just connect wrong in the dimmer, or is there some fundamental flaw in my reasoning here perhaps?? thanks a bunch!

Sponsored Links
:eek: Please stop playing with stuff you do not understand.

You cannot safely feed a dimmer switch directly from a socket circuit. That isn't why it went bang though (You do not connect neutral to light switches)

There are huge fundamental flaws in all that you did. I don't want to appear rude but get a competent person in as I would fear for your safety as well as others.

There are huge fundamental flaws in all that you did. I don't want to appear rude but get a competent person in as I would fear for your safety as well as others.

Thanks for that, and no offense at all taken of course! (it just seemed natural that a little electricity from anywhere-i.e. socket - should flow good via my dimmer to another lamp..but clearly not..)

Sponsored Links
Yes, of course it will flow. It will flow until the load (your dimmer) has finished frying itself. It will then go pop internally and the electricity will not flow any more.

I suggest you have a look at the lighting wiring diagrams on the WIKI and maybe a basic book about wiring, and fusing.

Look out for my book. Its available on Amazon

In the meantime, PLEASE get someone in that understands electrical things.
Electricity is unforgiving and takes no prisoners.
You are a danger to yourself, and others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back