installing dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to install dimmer in lounge. Currently 2 light are on 1 standard switch. The wiring inside the blue neutrals are joined in a little plastic junction (not sure whats its proper name is) and the live wires go to L1 and L2.
I have bought a single dimmer, and a double dimmer as I\\\'d prefer to control the lights independently. The double I wired the Brown lives to the live connectors top and bottom and the corresponding blue to the ~(with arrow) top and bottom. The lights would not then come on. I have not tried the single dimmer as I was unsure on the wiring. If this is the route I have to take to both neutrals go to the ~ and both lives go to L1. Not tried as I though this would short.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
thank your lucky stars it didnt work, it would have gone bang

you seem to be saying you have 2 blue and two brown (since you said the 2 blue are in a connector) is this right?

RULE ONE OF LIGHTING CIRCUITS!!!!!!

Never EVER connect NEUTRALS to LIGHT SWITCHES!!!

Connecting neutrals to light switches will have 2 results:

1. Toasted switches
2. BANG!

You have 2 brown wires: LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE. The switch simply opens and closes a contact between them (or a variac and other sensitive controls in the case of a dimmer)

By connecting live and neutral ACROSS THE SWITCH you have probably fried its SENSITIVE ELECTRONIC innards. ;)

Given there is only one feed to the 2 lights from this location, if you want to split them onto 2 switches, you will need to do more wiring.

Thanks for the replies.
I have also the single dimmer which I could fit. How would I determine the live and switched live? and to which connectors in the dimmer do they attach?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
On a dimmer it doesnt really matter. Convention says the live should go to COM (~) and the switched live to L1 but it'll work either way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back