Electrical work in the work place

You obviously visual the termination of the cpc at the same time as you do the loop test, you don't test to a cpc terminted in a connector block and then totally ignore the fact its not to the box!
I wasnt actually envisaging an absent connection or one floating in a connector block :) I guess what I was (maybe subconscioulsy) assuming was an apparently present connection to the box, but screwed to the sleeving, rather than the conductor - I'll admit I've done that (slidey stuff that G/Y sleeving!) - what about you?!

I'd do a quick loop test at switch and visual at the DB, and fill out a minor works cert with the zs value and tick for polairty entered and make it clear it refers to worked upon point only
Thanks. What do you mean by 'tick for polarity entered' - do you mean confirming that the switch was on the L side of the circuit?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The use, inspection, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment and installations in schools and colleges is legally required to be managed effectively.

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 place a duty on employers to carry out risk assessments, which involves identifying hazards in the workplace, including those electrical.

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, which apply to all educational establishments, require employers to assess activities taking place on or near electrical systems that may lead to danger and/or personal injury.

These regulations make it clear that the maintenance and repair of electrical equipment must be carried out by competent persons under a planned programme of work . Many local authorities undertake this work for their schools.

It may be reasonable, however, for teaching and non-teaching staff to undertake a primary and routine inspection of electrical equipment prior to use by them or by students. This is to establish that the equipment at least looks to be in good working order, eg examining a plug before connecting it to the power supply.

All staff should be fully trained in the use of any electrical equipment they will be operating.

All educational establishments should have a written policy specifically relating to electricity. It should also detail the visual checks to be conducted by all staff before using any electrical equipment.

I lifted this from a teaching union web site.

Its all a matter of
1. If your local authority allows you to do this work. I would suggest you get writen guidance from the Board of Governors or headteacher.
and
2. That you are competent to do the work. And to test it PROPERLY afterwards.

With respect, I would suggest that carrying out
remedial electrical experience at home
in no way qualifies you to do any electrical works outside your own house.

Many thanks for all the advice. I have advised the School that I can not carry out the repair. They are now getting a professional in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back