Trap for my shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m about to install a shower tray and have bought one of these traps to go with it:

https://victoriaplum.com/product/90mm-slimline-shower-tray-waste-sw90a

The instructions refer to it as a bottle trap and it appears to have a trap built into it. Nonetheless, the Victoria Plum website suggests that I will also need a p-trap to go with it. Is it normal to install a p-trap with this sort of trap, or is it unnecessary?

Thanks in advance

Jever

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If you follow the link I posted and click on the tab “You will need”, it shows the shallow p-trap.

Maybe this is just computer generated advice?

Jever

Sponsored Links
Hi Madrab,

Thanks, will leave the p-trap out in that case.

By the way, is there something I should know about ViccyP?

I got the whole bathroom from them and everything seems ok so far.

Jever

HI that,s not a trap just a waste, you will need a trap fitted.
I have the same waste, does not hold any water in it

Jever.... BK's comment made me check the specs (I should have checked seeing it was VP). He's absolutely right, that shower waste has no integral trap. That's what's wrong with ViccyP! It's mad supplying a shower waste that does not incorporate a trap unless you have an uber high flowing shower. Even then the trap they have suggested would not be suitable for that waste, that's for direct connection to a bath waste, it would require a running trap or similar.

Bin that one and buy one with an integrated trap.

Everyone I have dealt with who have got stuff from them have said that ViccyP's customer service is absolutely shocking. You're a lucky one who hasn't come across any issue with them. Just check out some independent customer feedback.

Hi BK, Madrab,

I contacted ViccyP on this issue today and was told in contrast to your advice that with this waste, no trap is required. That their website suggested I buy a p-trap seems not necessarily to have been relevant to my case - this seems glaringly obvious to me now, having thought about it.

Anyway, whilst I don't doubt your expertise, I'd like to understand why you take the view that this waste doesn't include a trap.

BK says the waste doesn't hold any water in it, but having dismantled it, there's an inner cup that holds water - I assume for the purpose of creating a trap. The design is similar to this one (see the drawing at the bottom of the page):

http://buyplumbingonline.co.uk/products/Matki-Fast-Flow-Shower-Waste-White-Grill-LPW90.html

Does this design qualify as an integrated trap? If so, could you show me from the spec how you concluded that mine doesn't have an integral trap?

Thanks in advance

Jever

If yours has the centre catch cup and the cover with the dip tube attached then yes, that's the integral trap and I'll revert back to my original reply. All's good, nothing else needed.
That being said, when you look at the tech specs page in the ViccyP website, it doesn't show the centre cup in the diagram, like it should and as your link does, hence the change in my advice and the comment about that's what's wrong with ViccyP.
https://victoriaplum1.global.ssl.fastly.net/new_tec_specs/fa1d6ece-091d-4e20-a8f1-466da36dc042.jpg

It wouldn't have surprised me if they had managed to source a shower waste without a trap, so you would had to buy a separate one. That's how much faith I have in them, I'm afraid.

HI Jever.Like Madrab has said the tech specs does not show an insert it looks like a waste only .If Vic plum have said its ok then go for it.Only I fitted one a few months ago from Vic plum and it was just a waste.
Had to fit a trap as well.
I was fitting it over a weekend so I could not return it so a trap was fitted to it.

Hope it works out ok

I received one of these traps with my shower kit from VP - looks wise, it seemed quite solid, but for peace of mind I sent it back and ordered a McAlpine unit instead. Only £5 more than the VP one, and virtually guaranteed to make a good seal.

Strangely, the shower seemed good quality, but the baths are a major issue according to forum talk. Good luck, Jever!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back