travel plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Helpers, going to America I have 1 american travel plug adaptor, can I plug a 2 or 3 way uk adaptor into it to charge mobile/camera etc at the same time or do i need to buy extra adaptors cheers P M

Sponsored Links
yes you can.

its the current being drawn that is the problem, but since what you will be using will draw very little dont worry.

only thing is you may get stopped at check out, its going to show up as a lot of wires on the x ray. and no i am not joking, if it were you wouldnt you rather stop some one and have a look.

If you are using a simple adaptor that does not transform the voltage, then check that ALL the devices on the power strip can run on 110v/60Hz.

Sponsored Links
You certainly can provided you observe the maximum rating of the US socket outlet i.e. 15 amps at 110V as a rule of thumb never exceed 1500Watts

The only downside is that US socket outlets don't really support all that much weight and adaptor pins are often rather more flimsy than normal US plugs, which are pretty flimsy to start with.

It's likely if you plug a UK double adaptor into another adaptor that the plug will just fall out of the wall.

I'd suggest that you buy a couple of UK>US adaptors and bring them in your luggage. It's a lot less messy!

oh well im back from holiday :( just one thing, why do they allow light switches in the bathrooms in the USA is it different voltage :?:

yes, Americai's 120v 60hz, but that is not the reason, its because they are Americans

Well, UK/european phones will not connect to US networks, so you will have to buy a US sim to use while you are there, or just manage to live without a phone for a while. Also your phone and camera charger transformer may not be able to handle 110v, so you will be struggling to get any power into your gadgets.

are you sure about that? If your phone supports the US bands and your provider has a roaming agreement with a US provider it should work afaict. Of course like any mobile phone roaming it won't be cheap.

US GSM networks use 1900Mhz as the primary band and 850Mhz for extra capacity. If you have a tri-band phone it will usually have the two European frequencies i.e. 900Mhz and 1800Mhz and the primary US frequency 1900Mhz.

For optimal performance when roaming in the US a Quadband phone is the ideal solution as it gives you access to both frequencies so you'll get better coverage and fewer network-busy signals.

You can absolutely roam in the US with your European provider's sim. It's just a matter of ensuring that you have roaming enabled and that your provider has an agreement with one or more of the US providers in the area that you are planning to visit.

Most networks in Europe offer this service for both bill pay and prepay customers. The costs can be ridiculous though.

oh well im back from holiday
Damn, missed that. How did you get on with the gadgets?

I spoke from my own experience with the phone. My Nokia roams OK in europe, but was as dead as whatever in the US. My hosts said that this was usual, buy another sim. (I'm too tight to do that.) Is it actually the phone or the sim that has UK/US capability?

It is the phone that has the bands on it, not the SIM.

I have been using tri-band phones for years, they used to be more expensive but I think it is pretty standard now, and yes, quad bands five even more coverage, I think in South America mostly.

Buying a local SIM card will save a lot if you are have gone in a group and are phoning or texting other people in the same country who also have local SIMs

It is more economical to leave your UK number on voicemail so you can listen occasionally and see if there is anything that can't wait. IMO when you're on holiday you don't want to be constantly available on the phone. Overseas roaming costs are ridiculously high, although within Europe they are being forced to reduce excessive profiteering, by the power of the EU (hooray)!

Sponsored Links
Back