Tread Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace a stair trend as the existing step is very creaky and have been cut in place and doesn't seem to be secured very well.

Plan is to carpet the stairs so I am not bothered how the tread looks and I was planning to replace it with 18mm mdf or something similar.

I am however unsure of the best way to fix the new piece of timber (or mdf) in order that it remains secure.

There is no access from underneath for this part of the stair and the tread I am replacing is a large, 1/4 turn step.

Obviously as the stair is to be fully carpeted, happy to screw through the surface of the new tread but is the best way to put in supporting batons, fixed to the underneath of the stairs?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Well my tip is to get a new staircase, but if you cant afford that make yourself a new tread out of the same thickness material probably 22mm you will have to cut the existing tread out and put your new tread in in 2 pieces fix ing it is a bit of a game but i'm sure you will cope.
Remember if one tread as gone the rest are on the way.

website removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back