Treadmill in garage tripping circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've tried to look at various posts around the forum but couldn't see a post which matched my situation.

My garage has a board with two fuses in it (fuse wire). One if 15A and goes to a double socket. The other is 5A and goes to a strip light on the ceiling. The garage has an electric up and over door motor which I am guessing (haven't checked) is hooked up the 15A.

When I moved in, I put my treadmill in the garage, switched it on (with the striplight also on) and as soon as I put the speed up it tripped the circuit breaker which is on the consumer board inside the house. The garage fuses were ok.

The consumer board breaker for the garage is 15A (for power, lights combined). Should this not be higher - ie. 20A to cope for the 15A power and 5A lights on at once ? I realise the cable has to be able to take 20A but was just looking for some informed opinions. The breakers are the old Wylex push buttons.

Sponsored Links
I should've mentioned ... I've just moved into this house but the treadmill was working fine in my old garage with no tripping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back