Cannot reset circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like some understanding of circuit breakers before calling in an electrician.
Following a failure of external lights, I lost power to my garage. The consumer unit in the house has the CB tripped and the fuse of the lighting circuit blew. The power goes in to an electric box in the garage which has mains and lighting circuit fuses. I have disconnected the exterior lights and flicked the power to off in the garage. However the CB in the consumer unit
will not switch to the on. The circuit breaker has a smaller yellow button - a test button I think indicating a GFI.
I'm assuming that as I can't reset the CB it indicates a problem in the wiring to the garage - is there any way of testing this or locating the problem ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, start disconnecting at various places until the breaker will reset.

Turn off the main switch in the box in the garage first. If the breaker will reset then you've got a probelm at the garage end.
Next disconnect the lighting wiring from the garage box (note you must remove the live AND the neutral wires)
If the breaker will then reset you've got a problem with the lighting circuit in the garage.
Suspect any outside lights and look for water ingress next.

You should be able to narrow it down if you take a logical approach.

The circuit breaker has a smaller yellow button - a test button I think

Sounds like an old type Square D RCBO, as holmslaw says try switching off first (push all the way down) before resetting.

Let us know how you get on

Sponsored Links
Tripped breakers have to be switched fully to the off position before they can be reset.
I feel rather embarrassed ! This was the case - I was always pushing it to the ON from where it tripped to. Is this a design feature ? All the other (NON GFI) CBs I've always pushed it straight back when there's been a problem. Anyway, it will allow me to power up the garage in stages now as outlined by TTC

Tripped breakers have to be switched fully to the off position before they can be reset.
I feel rather embarrassed ! This was the case - I was always pushing it to the ON from where it tripped to. Is this a design feature ? All the other (NON GFI) CBs I've always pushed it straight back when there's been a problem. Anyway, it will allow me to power up the garage in stages now as outlined by TTC

I'd like some understanding of circuit breakers before calling in an electrician.
Following a failure of external lights, I lost power to my garage. The consumer unit in the house has the CB tripped and the fuse of the lighting circuit blew. The power goes in to an electric box in the garage which has mains and lighting circuit fuses. I have disconnected the exterior lights and flicked the power to off in the garage. However the CB in the consumer unit
will not switch to the on. The circuit breaker has a smaller yellow button - a test button I think indicating a GFI.
I'm assuming that as I can't reset the CB it indicates a problem in the wiring to the garage - is there any way of testing this or locating the problem ?
I'd like to thank holmslaw and andy61, i was doing the same, just trying to push it back up to the on position, didnt fully press down first....when I did after reading your suggestion, it worked! thank you so much...its now 2am and I can go to bed.....thank you guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back