Treated timber decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to put down some external timber decking on treated timber joists. I believe I need to paint the ends of any cut joists with timber preservative and presumably this also applies to the cut ends of the deck boards ?
(I assume I dont need to apply anything to the boards which aren't cut ?)

Can I use the same stuff (i.e. - something from B & Q or Wickes etc.) or would it be better to use a different product for each. The reason I ask is that decking sometimes appears to be a slightly different colour to the treated joists and I dont want to make a mess of the deck boards by blathering something all over the ends which will look bad afterwards.

Also, do I just apply lightly to the ends or put plenty on, even over the edges (which may then be seen on the finished surface) ?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Sponsored Links
all pretreated decking is pressure treated so that you don't need to paint the ends of the boards as the treatment is forced into the boards at very high pressure so it goes all the way through the boards

Sponsored Links
Judging by other similar threads thrown up by this website it looks as if there is some debate about whether or not to treat cut ends and if so what to treat them with.

Then why are you asking the same question if it has been asked before?

Because I didn't know it had been discussed before until I got these replies and the similar items appeared at the bottom of the screen, which then threw further confusion into the mix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back