Tree Fern question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I bought a small tree fern, dicksonia antartica, in a local shop for about ten pounds. I have watched it achieve a bit of height over the last two or three years and it is now at last gaining a bit of 'trunk', whole plant to top of this years new fronds is nearly four feet, top of trunk about 1 foot.

I have noticed that the trunk is actually three parts which join closely together to form the one round (hope that makes sense). Now if this was any other plant in my garden, being the gardener that I am, I would split it up and make three plants. Does anyone know if you can do this with dicksonia? As it has settled in and now seems to be putting on some growth I may well just leave it as it is - but the prospect of three for one is very appealing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back