How to kill a tree's survival tactics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I know this aint nice, but our (rear) neighbour recently (6mths) had a tree removed from his back garden, the base of which does come into our garden. Since then we are continually getting suckers shooting up through our bamboos, ferns, hostas etc., so I can't dig the roots out.
Any suggestions on how to kill off the roots that are feeding the stump and causing the problem without using a chemical attack which would also kill off our (expensive) exotic plants?
I was told years ago that copper nails will kill stumps off but I know that plants need copper to some extent so not sure if this would work.
TIA
I'm not being a meanie but any plant you don't want is a weed. :(

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you can hire a stump grinder ?

Try looking at this.

Creosote or bitumen paint on top of the stump ? won't kill the stump but should stop it spreading

hi try drilling holes in top of stump deep as you can. pour cresotte in them hammer copper nails half way in the side of the stump the nails get patina on them its the patina that kills the tree so i am told never done it myself but know people that have and it has worked hope this helps it will not kill your plants also you could strip off the rest of the bark

didn't some one mention drilling a hole and puting a copper pipe in their neigbours tree, "and suddenly it died"

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
didn't some one mention drilling a hole and puting a copper pipe in their neigbours tree, "and suddenly it died"

I found it,called patio cleaning acid !

See this It's still funny :!: :LOL:

Hi BiGDave, the link in your post will not work, to find out how to do it see

this 5th post down, then go to your post click the "EDIT" button and you can amend it :)

if the stump is tall try ringing it, this will kill it dead., cut into the bark 1inch width all the way around it.

Hope this may help :

Drill holes yes, fill with glyphosate (available Homebase and maybe B&Q).
Glyphosate is a killer that is absorbed by plant (normally thro' leaves) and kills the plant. This should work over time. Should not contaminate the soil.

Advice given in good faith only.

(NOTE : I thought creosaut (or however it's spelt) is now banned ie ground contamination and possible cancer giver)

deedee9 said:
I thought creosaut (or however it's spelt) is now banned ie ground contamination and possible cancer giver)
Yes,you're right I've forgotten about that,see this

I looked into the copper nails treatment a couple of years ago, it's a myth as far as I can tell. Be careful glyphosate, it can damage surrounding plants if it splashes, even woody ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back