Tree reduction/pollarding costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got an Ash tree about the height of my house, and was looking at getting a reduction or pollarding to keep it at a reasonable size.

Anyone one what sort of costs are reasonable for this type of job, if I get someone in to do it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You're unlikely to get an estimate on the forum but if you were:

about the height of my house
Tricky to tell from here - do you live in a bungalow, a two storey, a town house, a mansion?!

Also tricky to tell from here - where in the UK are you - location will make a difference to costs as will accessibility

I think the tree could be almost 7.5m in height (so not huge, but getting fairly big)

Down South East, so probably the pricier end of quotes.

Accessibility not an issue as it is out front next to road.

KennyPowers, good evening.

Suggest you check to see if there is "Preservation order" on the tree??

The proximity of a "Public Road" could increase the cost due to Health and Safety "issues"??

As for cost, suggest getting a couple of quotes from "insured Tree Surgeons" make sure there is indeed insurance in place ! ! !

Ken

Sponsored Links
It is next to a public road, but not a main road (cul-de-sac)

No TPOs came up when I searched on the council website. I don't believe the tree is that old, probably planted by the previous owner rather than the housing estate developer.

I would make sure I picked a reputable tree surgeon off checkatrade. Just wondering what sort of guide price to have in mind to make sure I'm not paying over the odds.

Thanks.

I would make sure I picked a reputable tree surgeon off checkatrade.

https://www.trees.org.uk/ARB-Approved-Contractor-Directory or ask your local council if they have a list of approved tree surgeons

There are a few reputable tree surgeons in this area, none of them are listed in checkatrade. They get their work by word of mouth and good reputation.

From the Checkatrade website

Join Checkatrade today and get 12 months membership for the price of 10

All you'll pay is a £25 + VAT joining fee to cover the costs of your background checks (Offer ends 31st July 2019) *

This provides you with everything you need to start building your reputation on Checkatrade.com and grow your business within your chosen area.

Plus, for an additional £12.50 + VAT per month, you can be included in a local printed directory, posted to around 50,000 homes.

And a number of 'members' of these type of organisations have been shown on TV to pay their fees by ripping people off.

Word of mouth by known users of tradesmen is the best option in my opinion.

Make some calls, get some quotes - handy that its out the front, people can quote without making an appointment, so more likely to take a look!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back