trianing plants on wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best method for attaching wires, so that they don't become loose an slack. Just twirl them around a hook with pliars, or are there any better methods?

It's just that I have aquired some grape vines that, I have been informed, will grwo rapidly and need something to cling onto. Rather that get another trellis, I quite like the idea of discreet wires.

Also, the old fence which the rambling rose was climbing over has been blown over by the strong winds we had a few months ago. Now new fence is up, I was thinking of just running a couple of lengths of wire and attaching the rose to them. What is the thickest gauge of wire I can get and how could I attach it?

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I've always used screw in vine eyes and steel wire. Looks best in my opinion. Drill holes for plugs, insert left vine eye and screw to required depth, leave some thread on the right eye sticking out for tightening later. Attach wire by threading through the eye hole then twisting the wire back over itself. Once done tighten the right hand eye to take up the slack in the wire, do this by sticking another vine eye through the hole and turning. see photo

If done properly with numerous wires you can play smoke on the water just by running your fingers down the wires :)

There's obviously other types of eyes and methods out there but this is my personal favourite.

Edit; obviously lose the plugs if you're screwing into wood :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back