plants for screening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want some plants that will go into a oblong pot to climb up a fence, that smell and look nice all summer.

The lady next door sits next to the fence smoking and no matter which way the wind is blowing it always blow my way, just thinking ahead when I start sitting outside, it is going to do my head in, you can smell it even when you are in the kitchen and she is outside. So what can I plant that will cover a 6 foot fence panel, smells nice and looks good oh and is fast growing, can not wait 10 years for it to mature............... :LOL:

There is no soil under the fence so need it ito grow in a pot as well, so shallow roots etc. Bought one of those oblong wood pots with trellis going up the back, about 3foot wide, the pot is only about 30cm high though...................

Sponsored Links
Suggest you try Russian Vine (grows v. fast) with honeysuckle (doesn't grow that fast but smells wonderful.)

honeysuckle, jasmin and get a scocceracoco (christmas box) for a great smell in the winter months

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would personally not go for russian vine, fast growing yes but tends to smother other plants, this can grow up to 30 feets and really is best for industrial use when covering something ugly, and is also hard to get rid of. Honeysuckle is good perfume especially at night, also consider patio roses with good scent which are placed in pots where YOU sit.

i dissagree.

the OP wnats a quick growing plant (its also called mile a minute) the op said it will be in its own container, we have it and so long as its kept trimmed its no problem.

I will also say it amusing to go on hols for 2 weeks then come back and see how much it has grown. Ours grows over a trellis

if you can get it over there.....easy to grow from seed...moonflower (giant white) calonyction...vigorous climbing vine with fragrant flowers up to 6 inches in diameter that open from evening until the following noon...its a perennial in mild areas, otherwise you grow them annually..and they can get up to 15 foot high. they take full sun. ...I started a flower box 3 weeks ago...they are already 6 inches high ...(of course we're due for hard frost this weekend :cry: )

Hi Breezer
you are correct, fast growing and in a container. however also high maintainance, if you dont want it to take over.
You are the first person i know who has not regreted planting it. mind you i would only hear obout the problems coming to think about it.
best regards

we like it so much we have 3 of them,

garden1a.jpg

The 2 nearest the house

garden2a.jpg

Nearest one to me, each has its own giant pot, this one is actualy a washing m/c outer tub

garden3a.jpg

The one furthest from me, we never need to water it because of the "rain chain" and they grey thing in the bottom left corner is a loud speaker, ideal for rock music

thanks for all the info, I will see what they have at the nursery, I might get them all...................lol

in the end I went with a boog woogie rose................ :LOL:

Flowers all summer with pink roses and is very fragrant, thanks for all your help, you have given me ideas for some other areas of the garden..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back