Tricky fencing issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas on the following? I want to put up a single panel, adjacent to an existing fence (for privacy). The existing fence shown in green is the other side of a retaining wall so the posts are about 2 foot lower than the one I want to add. I've cemented one post in place (blue) into the ground, but the other (red) is the issue since it's on top of a run of breeze blocks which are on top of the wall. I have a bolt down MET post but doubt bolting it into a single breeze block will be sufficiently strong. I've considered screwing a joist (purple) along the run of blocks and then screw the MET post into the joist but due to the direction of wind am unsure if there will be too much twist/enough strength in the joist. Another option I've considered is laying / bolting a paving slab (pink) I have over the block and bolting the post to that. I'm not sure about the relative widths but there is a slim chance I can screw through the new post to the existing post for added strength.

Space is limited.

Thanks

View media item 60970

Sponsored Links
Maybe go with your joist idea but you could always dispense with the metapost and mortice and tenon them togrther. Fix the wallplate with all thread as long as possible and resin it into the holes and also fix it to the post you,ve already put in.
Out of interest what's happening to the right of where you have marked the metapost? Is there anything there to fix to or brace off?

Hi, thanks, to the right is the back of our garage but it's about 3 feet away so too far, I measured today and the existing fence post will be about 6 inches away from the new one so I could brace over to that with some more timber. Any reason for resin rather than expanding anchor bolts?

I can't attach the wallplate to the post I already have as that one is about 2 foot higher than the one I'm trying to work out, the joys of having a terraced garden!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back