Fixing fence posts to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix 4' fence posts to the top of an existing 9" brick wall. I know of two options: (1) fix metpost bolt down brackets to top of wall and (2) bolt support timbers to front/back of wall and fix fence post to these. Neither option is aesthetically great. Does anyone have any ingenius ideas? Would it be possible to drill and epoxy in a steel tie bar connecting the fence post to the top of the wall?

Sponsored Links
If you fasten a 4' post to the top of the wall, it will wrench out when the wind blows. Think of the leverage. If you use longer screws or bars it will pull the bricks out.

I'd have at least a foot fixed to the wall for every 2 feet above the wall. I would put hefty bolts right through the wall, at least 2 for each post.

Sponsored Links
Wall is just over 3' high. It is a boundary retaining wall, so neighbours ground level is at top of wall. I am putting 3' high heavy duty trellis fence on top, so wind loads should be minimal. It does have to be sturdy enough to act as boundary fence though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back