Tried Replace Light Switch Now Downstairs Lights Don't Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll try and keep this short and hopefully someone can help me. I have also attached a picture to help.

We just moved into our house recently and our living room lights are unusual (to me anyway) there are 2 lights and a 2 gang switch with 1 for each.

After decorating we just wanted to change that light switch to a dimmer so went out and bought one. Went to try and fit it and was a bit to complicated to be honest so we didn't bother.

As id changed light switches before though i didn't envisage failing so i didn't take note of the wiring of the original switch before i took it off! :(

So i had a look at the kitchen one that works in a similar way and tried to copy that however the right switch turns both lights on and off and the left one just doesn't do anything. Also, now the kitchen lights or the outside light no longer work.

As you can see inside the box, there are 2 separate feeds, each with an earth, 2 blues and 2 browns. All 4 blues are screwed into a junction box thing and not used and then there is 1 brown to L1 and 1 brown to COM from each feed with an extra wire joining the 2 COM's.

This is the only switch in the room so no need for the 2 way

First of all is this correct? and if so why would this be happening?

Also why are none of the other kitchen or outdoor lights now not working?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have mixed up the browns, somehow.
Does your man drawer include a multimeter? you are going to need one.
Also All 4 blues are screwed into a junction box thing and not used

They jolly well are used, they are the neutral feed in and out and the neutrals to the two lights. They are, and must be, all connected together or nothing will work.

Sponsored Links
You have mixed up the browns, somehow.
Does your man drawer include a multimeter? you are going to need one.
Also All 4 blues are screwed into a junction box thing and not used

They jolly well are used, they are the neutral feed in and out and the neutrals to the two lights. They are, and must be, all connected together or nothing will work.

There's probably one somewhere. no idea how to use them though, ha

Well the switches worked fine before with the blues 'tucked' away, i have never touched those. Its the same in the kitchen switch as well?

Leave the link wire between the com terminals.

The wires from the back are upside down.

So on the right switch swap the wires top and bottom around.

Then do the same for the left.

Ok, half good half bad...

The switches now seem to work independently however the right switch is switching on the left light and vice versa.

Also, now the kitchen and outdoor lights aren't working

I guess it's a problem with the left wires being swapped because of the first thing I said and then deleted.

That should fix the kitchen light.

I guess it's a problem with the left wires being swapped because of the first thing I said and then deleted.

Well i swapped them back over so wen back to the 'original' before doing what you said second.

Do i need to swap something again?

I must say i do really appreciate your help here, my mind automatically shot towards a faulty wiring system meaning ripping the walls out and costing big bucks, at least now this progress is making me feel a bit more confident!

Can you take another photo, just like your first? We could see which lives from each cable went where in your original pic, so from another and your description of what has now changed we might be able to figure it out.

Turn the kitchen switch to on then.

And then fiddle with the living room lights to work out what needs to be on for the kitchen light to be on.

Ok, just went to take a picture and all the bloody wires popped out! Anyway, after re-tracing steps and screwing them back in i am in a position now where the kitchen/outdoor lights work and the living room works apart from the right switch turns on the left and vice versa.

What do i need to swap to get them correct?

Added a new pic too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back