Replacement ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone will be able to help. So last night I tried to change 2 ceiling rose / pendant lights at my mother in laws newish build with ones I bought online. The bedroom has 3 lights, the main one in the middle on 1 switch, and 1 in each corner of the main wall (2) on another switch (the lights being changed are the ones in the corners). I changed the furthest one first which only had 3 wires (blue, brown, and earth) plus the 2 pendant wires (blue and brown), connecting the earth to the bracket and connecting the brown to brown and blue to blue using 2 seperate wago connectors. I then tested the main light which was working but I didn't have a bulb to test the new light.

So I moved on to the other light and this time it had 6 wires (2 blue, 2 brown, and 2 earth) plus the 2 pendant wires (blue and brown). So I repeated the process of connecting the 3 brown and 3 blue using 2 seperate wago connectors, with earth to the bracket. Tested the main light again and I am sure it worked (but I can't remember for sure), I flipped both switches a few times quite quickly to make sure all was ok, then the RCD tripped. So I checked the connections and all seemed ok, and then thought maybe the switching caused the trip, so I reset the RCD. After resetting the RCD the main bedroom light along with the landing light wouldn't turn on. I tried different bulbs that are working elsewhere in these but still no light, the RCD didn't trip again either?

My thinking was maybe I wired it wrong, so I replaced everything as it was, but there was still no light in the main bedroom or landing bulbs? I played around with the connections thinking maybe I connected them the wrong way round, but I still could get them to work.

It seems that the system is looped at the switch rather than the rose because there wasn't anything in the rose loop connection when I started? I have attached a photo of the ceiling rose that had the 8 wires in, which was the 2nd light I tried to change (the picture isn't clear but the pendant is wired in at each end of the rose).

I haven't really checked the looping at the switch so I'm unsure if that's been disturbed? Or could it be the light switch itself... is it possible for that to fail?

I have tried to explain everything that I did, and I hope that someone will have an idea of what to check?

Help would be very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• ceiling rose.jpg
    ceiling rose.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just because the cable is blue don't assume it is a "neutral". It could be a switched live missing an identifying sleeve.

I can't follow the description and the picture is no help.

That's how it should have been. Why did you not do that first?
Sorry I meant that I put the original fittings back as they were before I started. When installing the new light I replicated the connection shown but used wagos to connect them up, and thought that would have worked.

Sponsored Links
Just because the cable is blue don't assume it is a "neutral". It could be a switched live missing an identifying sleeve.
Yes I thought that, but does that still apply if the switch is looped rather than the rose?

with ones I bought online
using 2 seperate wago connectors
If you have ceiling roses, why are you using wago connectors?
I flipped both switches a few times quite quickly to make sure all was ok, then the RCD tripped.
Are you saying it worked OK and then the RCD tripped, or did it trip straight away, and are you sure RCD not MCB?
So I repeated the process of connecting the 3 brown and 3 blue using 2 seperate wago connectors, with earth to the bracket.
I would have expected to use 3 separate wago connectors if doing it that way, but why wago thought you had ceiling roses? And the ceiling rose will have 4 connections, a clamp for the earth, a three terminal block for neutral in and two neutrals out, a second three terminal block for the three line wires than a two terminal block for the switched line, which is likely a blue wire with a brown sleeve.

So likely looking at four blue wires, one on the pendent, one neutral in, one neutral to next lamp, and one line from the switch. If you put the latter with other blues it will be a direct short. However this should trip the MCB/fuse/RCBO not the RCD, so you have also made other errors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back