Help - dogdy wiring to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help

I have just gone to replace a light in my hallway but i'm a bit confused. The ceiling rose has 4 red wires all going through the centre live loop connection, 3 black wires going to the neutral and another black to the switch terminal. From the neutral and switch terminals there are 2 brown wires going to the light fitting. is this just a wiring fault - should the neutral be black/blue?
Should i just ignore all wiring on the ceiling and replace the 2 brown wires with the brown and blue form my new light?
Also my new light has come with 2 earth wires, do i just connect both to the earth connection on the ceiling rose.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, connect your new light to the terminals where the two brown wires are. You may need to verify which is 'live' and which is neutral, but most likely it is wired as you describe it. The wires in a light fitting are often not coloured. Sometimes both wires are white or black. In this case, if you're confident you have identified the terminals correctly, connect the blue to neutral and brown to your switch terminal. You need to connect all earth wires to the earthing point on your ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back