Tried Replace Light Switch Now Downstairs Lights Don't Work

Well done.

You need to swap the wires in the L1 terminals.

But I would quit while your ahead and leave it till daylight !

Leave the blues alone. They are all connected together, which is how they should be.

When you screw the switch back to the wall, make sure the brown wires don't get trapped at the edge of the box.

Sponsored Links
and just to confirm then, the blues definitely don't need to be used anywhere?

They are just left over spares (NOT). LEAVE THEM ALONE.

It is clear from your camera skill, and your willingness to ask for advice that you are (how do I put it?) intelligent, so have a read up about how circuits work.

Thanks a lot! Just had enough light to swap the L1's over and now we are all good.

Back to square one though and wasted about half a day messing around trying but giving up on fitting a new dimmer....

Will try again another day, the instructions for that one were asking for one brown and one blue to be used in each switch, so as it wasn't identical to this one i rather embarrassingly gave up and sent it back as i just couldn't be bothered today and it annoyed me! I usually try my hand at everything and do quite well and i do consider myself quite intelligent....this was just one step too far

Thanks a lot for your help again, really appreciate it....

If only id just come on and asked how to wire the new one! :rolleyes: never mind

probably just as well, as you would have blown the new dimmer (if using those blues) and possibly something in the house.

Sponsored Links
probably just as well, as you would have blown the new dimmer (if using those blues) and possibly something in the house.

So when i try again :p ....no matter how the back of the 2 gang dimmer is laid out, it will just be a direct copy of whats there now in terms of where the wires go, like for like?

Apologies if I've missed something but

as there is a link wire, then surely it should not be connected to a brown at both switches.

Re dimmer. Kind of.

Can the bulbs cope with being dimmed?

Don't touch the blues as they are neutral.

The single brown wires will goto terminal marked ~

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back