Trimming Cypress tree @ the Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have large Cypress trees (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) at my Fence they have lots of branches from base and gives good privacy. Its not been cut in last 6+ years. Now its over grown at both sides of fence up to 8 meters!

My neighbour also keen for me to cut them, but since they grown out so much that if I trim them there will not be any privacy as branches at the bottom don'y have any leaves closer to main stem.

See photos, Any tips how can i trim these without loosing much privacy..?

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 7.15.06 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 7.14.37 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 7.15.06 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 7.14.37 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-27 at 7.14.49 PM.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I believe you can only cut back to any new shoots, beyond that there won’t be any re growth.

Blup

Once they've be let go like that your on a hiding to nothing trying to get a satisfactory result.
Have you considered raising the crown and either planting shade tolerant hedge, shrubs or erecting a fence which would increase usable space of your garden?

Trouble in planting new trees/hedge /shrubs near these is nothing grows near that area as no sunlight. Don't even have any grass near these trees as no sunlight through its branches.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back